No Expectations

Monday was here again for Lucian, who didn't sleep well. He was exhausted as he crawled to school. He was at lunch before it hit him. His tired brain was a little behind. He never heard or saw anything about stuff that happened with Gabe. Keeley didn't act differently either.

He had several classes with her and she never changed or acted differently. She was the same and Gabe was too. He talked to the same people in his group, without a smile. Lucian was sad about that part. He looked at Gabe again. He wanted to look away but what if Gabe smiled? He would miss it.

Gabe looked up. They held eye contact while others were doing idiotic things around them. Lucian felt his breath hitch. Holy shit! He really did have a crush on Gabe and not a small one. Then the miracle happened, Gabe smiled. It was small but it was there and gone. Lucian watched Gabe look down and...did he just blush? Gabe just blushed.

"Man, you are blatantly just staring at Gabe now. What is up with you?" Jonah was talking again or still.

Lucian tore his gaze away. "He helped me out Saturday when I couldn't find you."

Jonah sighed. "I forgot, man. That girl Sonja something said she wanted to fuck me! So we did. I think I was good but...I honestly can't remember. I woke up in a room, ran like hell and drove home. I spent the weekend hiding from her! She is a stalker, I swear!" He was looking around for her as he spoke. "What did you do?"

"Well, I got smashed. I don't remember much but...Gabe helped me get home." Lucian lied a little. "Nothing much but...he was nice to me and I can't figure out why!"

"Probably still scared of you!" Jonah sighed. "We were mean to him and I still have no idea why! Did you know his mom was sick and she died a couple years later! I think that was why he missed ninth grade."

"I didn't know that. So, while we were picking on him, harshly, his mom was dying?" Lucian felt tears. "I deserve to go to hell for that!" He stood and stormed out. He rushed to the bathroom and lost control. He sobbed as he held the sink. He had no ability to control anything as the door opened.

Lucian tried to stop it but he just got the hiccups instead. Arms pulled at him and turned him around. His face was in someone's neck. He just grabbed around the person's back and held on. He cried into his shirt. No words were spoken but Lucian knew who this was just by feeling his body. Gabe. But why and how? He was breathless as he forced himself to stop sobbing.

"I'm here." Gabe just whispered quietly. "Do you want to get out of here? I know a place."

Lucian backed up and wiped his face. "Why are you being nice?"

Gabe sighed. "Fine. Fuck it. Don't come. See you later." He headed for the door.

"Wait...where?"