Keep Punching

They both agreed that nothing was changing at school. They were rivals so they glared at each other all the time. They were both okay with that. Gabe knew that Lucian wasn't ready for anything, he was being patient. He didn't want to take a chance and lose Lucian forever.

Lucian couldn't wait until lunch. He opened his container and smiled. It was leftover pork chops and a small salad. It was a fancy lunch for high school. Gabe even put dressing in it and a cookie.

The note said Keep Punching. Lucian smiled and his heart just melted. He knew that his heart belonged to Gabe but he wasn't ready to face it in real life just yet.

He looked up and saw Gabe watching him. They both glared at each other and Gabe looked down. He finished his food in silence as he watched Lucian eat his and close his eyes after each bite.

"Okay? What in the hell is wrong with you and what girl packed this lunch for you?" His friend was there to annoy him.

"It wasn't a girl, Jonah, and I don't want to talk about it. This is from a friend and it's delicious. Thanks for asking where I was yesterday for half of school!" Lucian glared at Jonah.

"Oh, right. I skipped the last class because I got lucky in the janitor's closet. That chick found me and well...she wanted me again! It was so hot." And Lucian blocked his idiot friend out as he looked at Gabe again. He wanted to say thanks but they didn't talk in school.

Lucian began to wonder what would happen if he did come out? What would it affect? No one really. He wondered what Jonah would say. Would he lose him as a friend?

"What happened to your face?" Jonah stared at Lucian. "Did you beat Gabe up?" He saw that Gabe had bruises too.

Lucian laughed. "No. I just... this is nothing so don't worry about it."

Keeley sat beside Gabe in Chemistry. "So...What's up with the black eye and why does Lucian have one too?" She raised an eyebrow and glared in a way that only a black woman can.

"Nothing. I was at the gym. Lucian was there and we boxed. Nothing bad. He needed someone to hit and I volunteered. It is nothing and I mean that. Okay?" Gabe watched Keeley.

Keeley nodded. "Okay. I know you can take care of yourself. Are you doing okay?"

Gabe nodded his head but held eye contact. "I am today. Thanks, Keeley. Now, go flutter around." He smiled as she did exactly that. Man, she looked like a butterfly fluttering from flower to flower. For the first time in a long time, years, he felt okay. He felt good.

Vote and comment or whatever! Thanks for reading!