Twenty-One-Sincerly, yours

When they arrived back at Beaver Hollow they were greeted with questions whereas Javier pulled Annabelle to the side.

"You are such an idiota. Going out there risking your life and our child's life. What if something had happened?" Javier grabbed her hands and squeezed them tight.

"We're okay Javier. It won't happen again this was my last mission for now until birth. I promise you we are fine," Annabelle lifted her hand from his and placed it on his cheek before leaning in and pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

"At least you are both safe I'm happy. I love you, hermosa," Javier embraced her and kissed the top of her head.

The sun had just started to set creating beautiful colours in the spring sky. Annabelle sat on the rock at the makeshift campfire away from everyone else and their hatred tension between each other. Annabelle was enjoying the peace until Jack came along and sat at the fire. He watched the flames for awhile as they danced in the breeze. He turned to look at the woman before him, he hesitated before asking his question.

"Anna, are we going to die?" Jack looked up with big eyes as he waited for a response. Annabelle sat with a shocked face but quickly closed her mouth and and looked down the four year old.

"We all die someday. I'm going to die, I don't know when but I will. It's all part of life, it happens. But you, your momma and Pa are going to be safe. Me and plenty of other people are going to make sure of that, Jack. You have nothing to be afraid of no more," Annabelle reached down and grabbed his hand making him stand to his feet.

"I want you to have this," Annabelle reached inside her coat pocket and pulled out a silver locket.

"It has a compass!" Jack squealed as he looked at the imprint. "Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R. Tolkien,"

"He was an amazing author, Jack. If you ever see his books or if I do I will give them to you. You must read them...but I also want you to think back at this quote. This is us, and just live your life like a compass go wherever it takes you and welcome everything that comes your way."

"Okay, Anna. Thank you," he gestured for Annabelle to put it around his neck which she did with a smile. Jack tucked the locket in his shirt and then turned around and hugged Annabelle with a smile.

***

A few days had passed and Dutch had somehow got Eagle Flies in Fort Wallace in prison. Annabelle wasn't happy neither, Arthur or Charles whereas Dutch, Micah and Bill seemed to find it funny and not bother. Javier decided to ignore both sides but he thought to himself, oh well. It isn't me or any of us so why worry? Why does she care?

Sadie had also killed off the remaining O'Driscoll's at Hanging Dog ranch with Arthur. She also killed the man that had actually killed her husband.

Annabelle was having sleepless nights as the memories of James pointing a gun at her and him actually dead before her. Even now she feels like he is still breathing down her neck.

Tonight was one of those nights, as she gripped the sheets and cried out and screamed. Her throat felt like it was tightening and her lungs were collapsing on her. Her brain shutting of slowly. She felt the tears roll down her hot cheeks but maybe it was his blood that splattered on her.

His laugh was maniac and deafening in her ears, the grips on her body tightened and they shook at her calling for her.

"Annabelle it's me! Javier!" Her eyes shot open and he was right. It was Javier, he was there staring at her with concern.

"Annabelle...my darling Annabelle," Annabelle sobbed at his words and pulled him close as she hid her face in his dressed chest. She gripped his shirt tightly as she calmed her breathing and breathed in his scent.

"Are you better now?" Javier asked as he moves away a little to look at her red face painted with tears.

"He was there. Javier. My hus-my ex husband was there the other day. He was alive all these years. He left us to go with Colm. And he tried to sell me away to that bastard and have me killed. He followed us everywhere. He was going to kill us all, Javier. But...I shot him. I killed him!" Annabelle sobbed as she stared at the chocolate eyes that bore into hers.

"That sick bastard. He's gone now. Annabelle, you did the right thing." Javier pulled her up and wiped away the tears and pushed her hair away from her sweaty face.

"Let me take care of you,"

***

Today was the day, Arthur and Charles were going to rescue Eagle Flies and this time they are taking Annabelle away with her consent.

She needed to get away from this place now. Too many memories that were mostly bad and the only good was Javier and the people who have left, died or who are going to leave soon. She sees that she needs to go and knows that Javier doesn't plan to like he once promised her.

Javier was out hunting so this was the perfect opportunity to sit down with a pen and paper. And that's what she did, sat by the water she grabbed her journal Arthur gave her and started to write and held back the tears.

After writing it she ripped the pages out and and walked up the hill and back to Javier's tent. Folding the pages and placing it in an envelope so that no one else read it. She placed it under Javier's pillow with only the corner poking out so he would find it still.

She grabbed her bags which was only two that held her belongings and the child's. She turned around and smiled sadly before turning away and walking towards the hitched horses where Arthur and Charles waited.

Ennis and Patch waited patiently with a wagon. Annabelle quickly put her bags and blankets on the wagon using one of the blankets to cover the bags and essential items.

"Ready?" Charles asked to which Annabelle nodded at and wiped away the tears before climbing up on the wagon.

Dear Javier,

I waited and waited for you. But I see you made up your mind and chose chaos. I understand. That is your life. But I guess I wanted a life with you until we died together as elders or in battle to protect our little family. I guess I dream too big. I had to leave, those memories haunted me and Dutch...well he turned funny. People kept dying and I became afraid if we were next and to be forgotten. I can't live this life no more. I have a huge responsibility, one that you gave me. I thought you would help. You did. But you have other ideas too. I love you Javier. I always will, and I hope you will too.

If you ever change your mind, I'll be up North in Canada with the Natives. When you look for me it won't take long to find me.

And you should know, I kept this from you for four years. My name is Darling Edwards. Annabelle was a fake name to hide my identity when my family passed away. The one person who called me it was James. He also was the only one who knew but you should know too. My last name however. Jenson was James last name but from now on I am Darling Edwards.

I hope this gets to you well, and you never forget about me or your child and you come and see us one day and maybe start a new life with us and live together.

Sincerely, yours

Darling