Five-Rhodes

"Annabelle," The deep voice startled her at first. She turned around and smiled at the man.

"Charles, how are you," Annabelle walked along side him across the shore of the lake.

"I'm good. I just wanted to ask you if you wanted to come hunting? I saw a lot of meat on the way here. Be good for the camp," Charles turned to her waiting for her response.

"Of course! I could never turn down the offer for Hunting with Charles Smith," they both chuckled and walked to their horses.

Riding out of Clemens Point riding towards Clemens Cove and into the trees.

Charles felt sorry for the woman beside him. She had been through hell and back. He couldn't even bring himself to ask how her ankle was in case it would trigger her. She was calm and happy and he didn't want to ruin that and of course a good friendship.

Charles stopped and jumped down from Taima, Annabelle following. She pulled out her rare rolling rifle with the long scope and a bow and arrow.

Annabelle crawled onto her stomach on top of the the little hill where a group of deer laid in the grass while some grazed. Annabelle looked through the scope eyeing the doe that was closer to the two outlaws. Her finger grazed over the trigger before gently pulling it with empty lungs. The doe was killed in a second right in the head.

Annabelle stood up chuffed with herself. She ran towards the dead doe and stared to skin the animal. While she did that, Charles was able to do a much quieter kill on a Stag. Annabelle whistled for her horse and stowed the pelt the body of the doe. Charles doing the same.

***

𝑅𝑢𝑛𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔. 𝑀𝑦 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑝𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑔𝑢𝑛𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑡𝑠. 𝐼𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑔𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ𝑒, 𝑒𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑤𝑎𝑚𝑝𝑠. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑢𝑓𝑓𝑜𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑖𝑟 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑚𝑒.

𝐼 𝑘𝑒𝑝𝑡 𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑜𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑒𝑛. 𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑚 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑠, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑖𝑟 𝑔𝑢𝑛𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑡𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑔.

𝑀𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑘𝑙𝑒 𝑡𝑤𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐼 𝑓𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑤𝑎𝑚𝑝 𝑤𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟. 𝑀𝑦 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝐼 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑔𝑎𝑡𝑜𝑟 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑚𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒𝑟.

𝐼 𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑐𝑘𝑙𝑦 𝑔𝑜𝑡 𝑢𝑝 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑛, 𝑢𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑙 𝑎 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑜𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑜𝑐𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ 𝑚𝑦 𝑙𝑒𝑔.

𝑀𝑦 𝑓𝑙𝑒𝑠ℎ 𝑏𝑒𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑟𝑖𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡, 𝑠𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑛 𝑎𝑔𝑜𝑛𝑦.

***

Waking up, sweating. Annabelle's heart was pounding. She kept having these dreams from the past.

Her thoughts were disrupted by Javier walking inside the tent.

"Hey, Hermosa. I heard you screaming and crying when I walked past. Everyone is concerned. Is it what happened in the swamps, them kidnappers?" Javier sat down on the cot next to her, with a concerned expression.