Epilogue Two- Her Last Request

1910

Darling was sick. In fact she was dying and there was no cure for what she had. The doctors had no clue what she had but was told to rest in bed from now on.

"Mum?" Isabelle called as she walked into her parents room. Darling hummed and opened her eyes as she stared at her daughter with a tired smile. "Oh Ma, this isn't you," Isabelle sat down on the chair beside her mother and held her hand tightly.

"I'm okay. I am ready to die my love and you'll have to let me go when I do. Use this time to say all the things you want," Darling croaked, Isabelle grabbed the glass of water and handed it to her mother. Darling took a small sip before putting it back.

"I love you, mum. I bought a journal this morning while I was out. And guess who I spotted. Jack! I haven't seen him in weeks or months but he seemed really happy," Darling smiled softly and stared at her daughter and her throat tightened as a line tear rolled down her cheek.

"I am so proud of you, Isabelle. You are so strong, brave and beautiful. I love you so much, don't ever forget that," Darling sobbed making Isabelle cry too and they sobbed together as Isabelle hugged her mother tightly but careful not to hurt her.

***

"Javier?" Darling asked, as she sat up slowly. Javier quickly stood up and went to her side.

"What is it, mi amor?" Javier asked, Darling smiled and then held his hand.

"Help me dance with you. Hold me tight and sing to me. It's my last request. It's all I ask,"

Javier pulled her up in his arms and got her to stand on his feet and swayed them back and fourth.

"Slow down, lie down
Remember it's just you and me
Don't sell out, bow out
Remember how this used to be

I just want you closer, is that alright?
Baby let's get closer, tonight

Grant my last request and just let me hold you
Don't shrug your shoulders, lay down beside me
Sure I can accept that we're going nowhere
But one last time let's go there, lay down beside me,

And I've found that I'm bound
To wander down that one way road,
And I realized all about your lies
But I'm no wiser than the fool that I was before

I just want you closer, is that alright?
Baby let's get closer, tonight

Grant my last request and just let me hold you
Don't shrug your shoulders, lay down beside me
And sure I can accept that we're going nowhere
But one last time let's go there, lay down beside me,

Baby, baby, baby
Tell me how can, how can this be wrong?

Grant my last request and just let me hold you
Don't shrug your shoulders, lay down beside me
Sure I can accept that we're going nowhere
But one last time let's go there, lay down beside me

Grant my last request and just let me hold you
Don't shrug your shoulders, lay down beside me
And sure I can accept that we're going nowhere
But one last time let's go there, lay down beside me

Yeah, lay down beside
But one last time let's go there, lay down beside me,"

Javier placed her down on their bed, Darling sighed in happiness and closed her eyes as she rested on the bed.

"Thank you, Javier...I love you and I love you too, Isabelle," Darling said as Isabelle walked in and smiled as her mother rested.

Darling sighed as she relaxed against the soft pillows, the sun shines through the window and rested on her skin. Skin that was one so bright and tanned, but she felt young again. Alive. Her heart was racing again and pounding loudly in her ears. The sound was so familiar to the hooves that used to raced down the man made trail. It was like the breeze in the wind was brushing her hair back and pinching her cheeks, the rivers turns and drops were loud once more. She felt Patch's heart beating against her legs, the strong muscles of her legs galloping. She inhaled the earthy scent of wet grass, the salt waters, the burning wood of nearby villages and campsites, blooming leaves and flowers coming through from the trees and grass. The sound of Patch's breathy neigh as she splashed in the waters, birds  squawking in despise as they flew away. Other wild horses kicked and snickered before racing with the deers and coyotes. And then Darling laughed as she fell into the cold water with splash. The light slowly disappeared as she fell deeper to the bottom, Patch was nowhere to be seen but for some reason. She knew she was close and that she was safe. As her back hit the sand, she choked on the water as it pushed her away to somewhere she's never been before. She swore she Javier's smile and heard Isabelle's laughter. She slowly closed her eyes but the smile never left her face.

They say if you love someone let them go, but I wasn't given a choice in the matter. Because death isn't a choice.

Javier, Isabelle and the Marston's stood alongside each other as they watched Darling get lowered to the ground. Javier kept his tears back but Isabelle and Abigail cried into each other's arms.

"She was a mother to one, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend. She was loved by many and always lived her life to the fullest. She always put people in their place when they were in the wrong. But most of all, she cared for a lot of people. Now, may she now rest and go home," the priest bowed and took a few steps back and let Darling's family and friends say a few words and throw roses and flowers onto the coffin.

"I'm going to miss you, Ma. I will take care of Pa for you," Isabelle sobbed and sniffled, Javier chuckled through his sob and pulled his daughter close.

Autumn 1910

Javier packed the last bits of his bags before grabbing his guitar and sat on the bed and looking at the frame on the shelf of him and Darling on their wedding day.

He strummed a few chords before singing,

"I remember holdin' on to you
All them long and lonely nights I put you through
Somewhere in there I'm sure I made you cry
But I can't remember if we said goodbye

But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico
One place I may never go in my life again
Was I just off somewhere or just too high
But I can't remember if we said goodbye

I only miss you every now and then
Like the soft breeze blowin' up from the Caribbean
Most Novembers I break down and cry
Cause I can't remember if we said goodbye

But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico
One place I will never go in my life again
Was I just off somewhere or just too high
But I can't remember if we said goodbye
No I can't remember if we said goodbye
Goodbye goodbye,"

Javier stood up and packed away his guitar and the photo before walking out and throwing everything on the wagon before climbing up and sat beside Isabelle.

"We're going home," he took the reins and snapped them and they both disappeared leaving their once so called home.