Chapter Eight | Melting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun beams shone through my slightly ajar window, letting in breath of Sicilian air

Sun beams shone through my slightly ajar window, letting in breath of Sicilian air. It was late July so the heat was already divine, even at seven o'clock in the morning.

Birds sang and the buzz of people downstairs could already be heard. My lips formed a smile as the smell of fresh pastry filled my nose, I felt as though I was on holiday, the complete opposite as to why I was actually here.

Silk white sheets draped over my skin as I stretched and slipped out of bed. My toes were met with a soft sheepskin rug barricading my feet from the cold wood floor.

A soft yet firm knock echoed from my door making me jump slightly,

"One second." I shouted, pulling on a pair of shorts under my t-shirt and throwing my mess of hair into a bun.

I opened my door and was met with a tray of pastries, orange juice and tea. My mouth slightly watered at the sight.

"Good morning, I brought you breakfast." Elijah's voice spoke while handing me the tray.

"You didn't have to do this." I said, not really sure how to react,

"Once you're done, meet me downstairs in my office, we need to discuss the schedule for the week." He said before turning and walking away.

He looked more relaxed in Sicily, he looked happier. More relaxed. And I don't know why, but I like seeing him happy.

I finished my breakfast and got ready. I want sure what we were doing today so I slipped on a little black dress and trainers.

I walked down the stairs to find Elijah already waiting for me. His eyes lightly traced over my body but he didn't say anything. I did the same to him. He was wearing his usual crisp white shirt and slacks that were rather tight. Not that I'm complaining.

He smiled at me with a gauntlet glint of eagerness in his eyes as he directed me into his office.

Book shelves plastered the walls and a huge oak desk took centre stage in between to sky high windows. The view was incredible: Crystal blue waters, perfectly carved rocks, blinding mellow sun.

He sat in the leather chair placed behind the desk while I took the smaller one in front. Our eyes met for what felt like a lifetime before he began to speak,

"I had a conversation with your father this morning, to discuss the plan, and today is pretty much all paperwork. I have a couple of phone calls I have to make." I nodded for him to continue, "Tomorrow I have meetings all day, Wednesday we are setting up cameras at the dock, then the rest of the week is planning our attack alongside training new recruits." He finished smiling at me,

"Sounds easy enough, where shall I work today?" I asked,

"You can work here, I'll be in the conference room for the majority of the morning."