Chapter Twenty-Seven | Burnt Alive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi handsome." A high pitched voice sounded from beside me.

I turned slightly in my seat at the bar, only to be met with the view of Mária staring up at me. I nodded in acknowledgement of her greeting before turning back to face the bar.

"That was rather rude." She squeaked. I nodded at her again this time with a sarcastic smile stuck to my face.

She moved closer to me, so her body was as close to mine as it could get without actually touching me. I felt her move her hand up to my arm before she dragged her finger down my bicep.

"You know-" She began, before I grabbed her wrist to get her off me.

"Don't touch me." I stated, standing up and straightening out my suit jacket.

"You're hurting me." She whined, my hand still firmly holding her in place.

"Good." I said, dropping her hand as I picked up the drinks I ordered and began walking back to my table.

"It looks could kill..." I muttered to Atnus as I sat down, referring to Cecilia who was shooting daggers at Mária with her eyes.

"You say that like you don't threaten to kill every man who talks to her." Atnus laughed, "You're both as bad as each other."

Instead of replying to Atnus, I moved my gaze to meet Cecilia's across the table. She looked at me with an almost shy smile as he leg brushed against mine under the table.

Her body language told me she was tensed and on edge. I completely understand why. In under ten minutes Miguel is set to walk through the doors directly behind her.

Our table is opposite the table reserved for Miguel and both Atnus and I will be facing him. He doesn't know me and Atnus but I garutee he'd recognise Cecilia in an instant.

Ana isn't here. Mária and her have become fast 'friends' so it would have been idiotic to bring her along.

The clock ticked. Every time the door opened Cecilia's posture stiffened ever so slightly. All I wanted to do was take her in my arms and tell her everything will be ok.

I may not know exactly what happened to her, but whatever it is, I know that so human being should go through that sort of pain. Ever.

A hard kick to my shin snapped me out of my thoughts as I looked to my left. Atnus, who had obviously kicked me, was sitting facing forward. But as I moved my head I saw what he was warning me of.

Miguel.

He walked slowly over to his table, greeting his daughter with a loud booming voice, hugging her in the process.

Cecilia physically seized up as Miguel's voice echoed through the quite restaurant. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply before opening her eyes and smiling at me.