To Dream Of Flight

Fundy shot up in his bed, gasping heavily at the dream he had. He ran over to where his father's bed would be.

"Dad!" Fundy cried, running into empty air, "Dad..."

But Wilbur wasn't there. He was gone. Fundy sat back on his bed, hugging his tail tightly. After the Complex got blown up, everyone was moved to temporary houses. Sally couldn't be reached to take Fundy, so he stayed with his grandpa and uncle.

"Hey," Phil opened the door, "you okay mate?"

Fundy's ears drooped, "I miss Dad..."

Phil sighed, sitting next to Fundy and hugging him, "I know. I do too."

"Why did he do it?" Fundy whimpered, "why did he blow everything up? Why did he kill himself? Why did he leave us?"

"I don't know." Phil said quietly, "Techno and I think the green stuff was controlling him. We think it's connected to XD."

"XD?" Fundy looked up, "Tommy, Tubbo, and Ranboo said something about XD too."

"What?" Phil asked.

"Yeah, I told them about the place XD took me too, and they said it sounded like a-a facility?" Fundy told him, "they said something else, but after that the explosions went off."

"The facility!?" Phil's wings flared slightly, "but that means... XD is connected to the facilities..."

"That's what Ranboo said!" Fundy said, "are you going to go after him!?"

Phil paused, his wings settling, "no-not me."

"W-why?" Fundy asked.

"I'm retiring." Phil gave him a small smile.

Fundy's eyes grew wide, "what?"

Phil chuckled lightly, "my wings are damaged. The chance of me being able to fly again are slim."

"No!" Fundy cried, clinging to Phil's sleeve, "you-you're the number one hero! You-you can't!"

"I have to Fundy. I can't do hero work anymore." Phil told him, "Techno will become the next number one now."

"But-but-" Fundy screwed his eyes closed on an attempt to stop his tears, "everything's changing now..."

Phil nodded, "that's how things work. Things change, and grow, and fall. But throughout all of it, we have to stay strong."

"I don't feel very strong..." Fundy admitted, curling closer to Phil.

"I know." Phil said softly.

Fundy yawned, tucking his tail closer. Phil shook his head softly, standing up from the bed.

"Get some sleep Fundy." Phil said, tucking his grandson in.

The fox shifter nodded, his eyes falling closed. Phil closed Fundy's door with a sigh. He walked out to the balcony of the house they stayed in.

The sky was bright with stars. Phil gazed up at them. He remembered before Wilbur got his powers, he would take him on flights in the middle of the night. Phil would teach him the constellations as they flew under them.

Phil sighed, spreading his wings. A small breeze flew through the few remaining feathers. Phil closed his eyes, imagining he was flying with his son again, pointing out the star Icarus as it flew by for a single night. An almost once in a lifetime opportunity.

"Phil." Techno walked into the balcony, "is everything alright?"

Phil shrugged, letting his wings fall, "yeah."

Techno leaned on the railing, "so... How bad are your wings?"

"My right wing should heal normally, minimal scarring the doctor said." Phil told him, "the left one..."

Phil cut himself off with a sigh, "Techno, I'm never going to be able to fly again."

"What?" Techno's eyes went wide.

"The burn scars won't allow the feathers to grow back properly." Phil said, "the flight feathers may not ever grow back in a way that's acceptable for flight, if they grow in at all. They'll be damaged from the start."

"So that's it then." Techno turned back to the starry sky, "your hero work is over..."

Phil gave his last remaining son a smile, "it was nice while it lasted though, wasn't it? All three of us, saving people."

Techno nodded silently, "it was our dream..."

"It was a good dream." Phil smiled at the sky.

Techno was quiet for a moment, "I... I have a question about Tommy..."

Phil looked at Techno, "what is it?"

"What if- could it be possible..." Techno sighed, "is Tommy... Theseus?"

Phil's eyes went wide before he turned away, "N-No... Kristen and I thought the same thing but-... When he was in the hospital, we did a DNA test. He's not our Theseus."

"Ah." Techno turned away as well, "I thought, because they were around the same age..."

"I know." Phil placed a hand on Techno's arm, "but... It's a good dream... Right?"

Techno nodded, rubbing the tears from his eyes. Technoblade wasn't an easy man to make cry. But when it was just him and his father, Techno let his guard down. He had lost two of his brothers. His father was leaving him alone in hero work. Everything he had once fought for was gone.

But he had new things to fight for now. New people he cared about. A funny little fox. The little raccoon shifter with wings. A goat boy buzzing with excitement about explosions and an anxious enderman hybrid who loves spaghetti, and their son, a piglin shifter like him.

He'd protect them until the end of his life. After all, Technoblade never dies.