Part 10

“Just give him a bag of mixed vegetables!” said Arthur as his voice got steadily higher and he banged the counter with his hand.

“If you do not calm down Sir I will call the security droid.”

“Will he do a better job than you?” Arthur fumed.

“Security to the order counter please,” asked the order droid.

A T.A.N.K. security droid appeared, “Could you kindly refrain from badgering the order droid please?” 

“He is incompetent.”

“Well so are you Sir but it hasn’t stopped you from starring in the seven books of the Arth series or countless bits of flash fiction.”

“Can you get him to get me some vegetarian chicken legs?”

“Are the ones you’re walking around now on not good enough?”

Arthur walked up to the self service order point, “Mixed vegetables please.”

“Meat free?” asked the order point.

“Yes please.”

Teleported from a fresh food processing point came a bag of mixed veg. Arthur took it to the order counter, “There!”

“Thank you,” said the servant droid who had previously tried to order before as he transmitted his payment details.

Arthur went over to the self service order point again, “Vegetarian chicken legs please.”

The self order point transported some for him. He tried to use his Tribelium Plated card but it had been maxed out. “What,” he exclaimed, “maxed out.” He came up with a quick joke, “Sounds like Maximilian no longer believes,” he looked around expecting Sid to groan at his joke but forgot he was still at home.

“I am sorry Sir but you cannot order food via self service then be unable to pay for it,” said the security droid.

“But my wife must have borrowed my card and maxed it out.”

“I shall have to place you under house arrest until you can pay and place a caution on your record for allowing your wife to use your card.”

Arthur fumed, “Can I make a telephone call?”

“Of course Sir, to your lawyer?”

“No, my wife.”

“She’s the one who got you into this trouble.”

“I know but she has my other card.”

“Knowing that Sir means that you have another caution on your record.”

Arthur tried to remain tight lipped as he rang Arianne. “You’ve maxed out my Tribelium Plated card. What have you spent 5,000,000 credits on?”

“Rabbit food,” replied Arianne.

“Why have you spent 5,000,000 credits on rabbit food, we don’t even have a rabbit?”

“If you bought enough of it then you got a free holiday.”

“It’s not a free holiday if it’s cost me 5,000,000 credits.”

Arianne asked, “What do you want?”

“Well, you need to bring some credits to pay for the vegetarian chicken legs. I’ve ordered some, cannot pay for them and am now under house arrest.” Arianne cancelled the link and Arthur looked embarrassed. “She has spent 5,000,000 credits on rabbit food for a free holiday.”

“That’s not very free,” noted the security droid as he updated Arthur’s record with two cautions.