Part 25

“Oh alright then, check upstairs you two.” He pointed to With and Lee, “You two, check the cellar. Biggs and Alf can check the east wing, Sid and I will take the west wing.”

“I don’t think the American President will like it if you take the ‘West Wing’,” quipped Sid.

“Stop quipping Sid or I’ll…”

“Take my quip off me?”

“Er…”

“I think we must be in some kind of time travel loop, we keep using bits of The Crying Pennant in our current phraseology.”

“Ooer,” ooered Arthur, “either that or the Author is trying to get as many quotes from the Arth series in this final volume as he can.”

“Or what I said,” said Sid as he started for the west wing.

Arianne and Trelainne ran like excited schoolgirls giggling up the stairs.

“Stop giggling up the stairs like excited schoolgirls,” reprimanded Arthur, “we are supposed to be being quiet.”

Arianne and Trelainne looked at each other, then carried on giggling and laughing up the stairs. They burst through the door of the first bedroom they came to.

“How fortunate,” thought Trelainne, “this appears to be the Witch Queen’s bedroom.”

As they looked in the wardrobe Arianne commented, “This reminds me of that book.”

“Really, which one?”

“‘The Lion the Witch Queen and the Wardrobe’.”

“Didn’t Arthur do a joke similar to that in the last book?”

“Wouldn’t it be fun if we fell into Narnia!” said Arianne as she walked to the back of the wardrobe, “Ouch!”

“What’s the matter, stepped on a pine cone?”

“No, I banged my nose on the back of the wardrobe.” When she exited she had a strange feathered hat on her head and a masque.

“Eeek!” yelled Trelainne, “the Witch Queen.” She began to run away.

“Ha ha, it’s me silly,” laughed Arianne, “do you like it?”

“It makes you look fat.”

“I don’t think so,” thought Arianne as she twirled and posed in the mirror. She had an idea, “I tell you what, we could scare Arthur and Alf by dressing up as the Witch Queen and one of her attendants.”

“Aren’t we supposed to be finding Fawh and getting out without getting caught?”

“We’ll just use our IWTs if they try and catch us.”

Musing a little Trelainne agreed.