Part 38

“While we’re discussing what kind of cover story to use then they could be killing you now,” declared Sid who just pushed the door open and walked into the hall.

“B…but,” butted Arthur as the others followed Sid in.

Everyone was sleeping in the Great Hall. There was a light at the top of the stairs and they could hear a woman moaning in childbirth.

Sid looked back at Arthur, “She’s having you!”

They all scrambled to the top of the stairs like eggs being prepared for breakfast. When they got to the lighted room Mrs. Pendragon had had the baby. The physician had swaddled it and laid the baby on her chest.

“Stupid place to lay a baby,” Arthur moaned, “a clothes chest.”

The physician looked around as did the ladies in waiting, “Who are you?” he inquired.

Sid cleared his throat, “I am King Sid from Scot…”

“Ahem,” prompted Alf.

“…Pictland,” finished Sid, “Hang on Author, I haven’t quite finished.” He paused to give me time to allow him to finish. “I have come to pay my respects to the baby future king.”

“Welcome then King Sid, but you will have to let the mother rest a while you know.”

“We would also like to make sure the baby is safe.”

“You can wait in this ante-chamber?”

“But surely that is just for aunties?”

“Ante, ANTE,” spelled the doctor as he led them over to the door of the ante-chamber.

Arthur kicked Bunny Malone down the stairs of the Reema V cloning factory. She sprawled on the floor then hit her cloaking device to turn invisible. Arthur sprayed some of Harry the Hair’s hairspray in her general direction and caught a glimpse of her. He used his stun pistol but the shot went too wide. About as wide as a gnat trying to get through the gap in Madonna’s teeth.

After about an hour Arthur started to go to sleep so Sid budged him awake.

“What are you doing budging me?” asked Arthur indignantly.

“You were going asleep,” said Sid.

“I was just resting my eyes.”

“What on, your nose? You were snoring.”

“I was pretending to be a pneumatic drill.”

“A pneumatic drill would have been quieter. You’ve woken the baby up.”

From the other room they heard baby Arthur crying.

Arthur peeped through, “You know, I cannot remember my mother, what she looked like, you know.”

“You don’t recognise your mother?” queried Biggs.

“Can you?” Arthur hoity toitied.

“I can’t,” glummed Sid, “seeing as I only appeared as a spelling mistake in the first book.”

“But I’ve heard you saying you’ve been in the goblin wars and you’re three hundred years old!”

“That’s just a back story I’ve learned by heart.”

“I feel like a back story sometimes,” glummed Arthur.

“I have a story about a back,” suggested Biggs.

“Oh go on then,” go onned Arthur, “it might pass the time, make sure it’s funny though, seeing as this is a funny book”