pt. ten

Hyunjin

I never thought I could mess it up even more but I have.

I just had to go and call her the nickname I've been calling in her in my head for the past ten years of knowing her.

When she ran out of the room I genuinely thought I was going to cry, it was going so well and I had mess up like always.

If it wasn't awkward before, it's definitely awkward now.

As it's a Sunday, we have nothing to do so we've all been lounging around. I don't know if Florence still wants to see if we can find out who Felix's new friend is but I'm too scared to ask.

She's been giving me small smiles like usual today, answering with short words like she does. It's still the same but it's different at the same time.

By calling her the nickname 'Gorgeous', I don't want her thinking things like I suddenly love her.

Love is a strong word and it's something I'm most afraid of. I've never experienced it but I'm scared of it.

I want Florence but I also want to protect her.

And by protecting her, I need to keep my distance from now on. If she gets too close, I'll end up breaking her heart again and I don't want that.

Felix's birthday is on Wednesday and I can tell Florence is stressing. She can't sit still in one place, her leg bounces up and down and I keep catching her picking her nails. I want to help her but I also don't want to get in her way.

An idea popped into my head last night, when I couldn't sleep from my idiotic actions, and I thought it might help Florence out.

I was going to ask Felix when he's going to meet his new friend again and try to subtly get the details so me and Florence can follow him. I know it's weird but I know that Florence wants to plan something nice for him and she wants all of his friends there.

Right now should be a perfect time as me and Felix are playing on the PlayStation whilst Florence has gone to pick up our Chinese takeaway.

Our game has ended so I feel like this is my chance. I clear my throat before speaking. "Any plans before your birthday?" I ask and lean forward to grab my bottle of soju I got from a Korean shop in town the other day.

Felix does the same before answering me. "I think so, my friend wants to go for dinner for my birthday."

Bingo.

"Oh? Am I allowed to know who this is?" I take another sip, enjoying the taste.

A slight blush spreads across Felix's cheek and I smirk. "Ohhh, new love interest huh?" I tease and his eyes go wide.

He playfully slaps me on the arm. "Don't embarrass me please." he begs and I comply, stopping my teasing.

"When is this da- I mean dinner then?" I chuckle when he gives me a playful glare.

"Tomorrow." he replies and he turns back to the new game starting.

We play a few rounds of Call of Duty before Florence arrives home with a bag of delicious food. The smell instantly fills the apartment and my stomach grumbles.