pt. twenty-six

Florence

As soon as I heard my mother's words, time stopped. My whole body frozen, my heart beating erratically in my chest and my eyes pooling with tears.

"Florence?" I can barely hear Hyunjin but when I feel his hand on my shoulder, I relax the slightest bit.

"My dad's been rushed to hospital." I tell him with as much effort as I can, trying not to break down.

Hyunjin looks as shocked as I am, worry written all over his face. "W-What?" he whispers and I look back at my phone.

I don't reply as I don't know what happened exactly but I do have a feeling I know the reason. I was always scared of this moment, ever since I was a child. Scared of possibly losing my father, my inspiration.

Hyunjin wraps me in his arms and I bury my face into his hoodie, trying not to cry. I think he notices because he strokes my hair and whispers in my ear.

"Let it out Gorgeous, I'm here."

At his words, I sob. I break down, his hoodie becoming wet with my tears. He strokes my back and my hair, whispering reassuring words in my ear.

We sit here, holding each other, for a while before I eventually calm down. My breathing becomes steady and my cries have stopped, I'm just sniffling every now and then.

The side of my face is against his chest and my arms are around his waist whereas his arms are around my shoulders, his hands stoking my back and his chin is resting on top of my head.

"Do you know what happened?" he asks quietly and cautiously, breaking the silence.

I shake my head. "She didn't say, she just said that he's been rushed in." I give him an answer, my voice hoarse from crying.

"I have a feeling it's his liver." I then say, a few minutes of silence. Hyunjin pulls away from me, a frown on his face.

"Why do you say that?" he questions, eyes darting around my face.

"When I was younger, I used to always catch him drinking. I used to think it was normal as I didn't know alcohol was bad for you. That was until I grew up and I kept catching him drinking straight from the bottle. One time when I caught him... I asked him why he was doing this to himself and... all he said was to not worry. He told me that he was fine but I knew he wasn't." I tell Hyunjin the one thing I've kept from everyone, apart from Felix and my mother.

Hyunjin's face looks shocked and confused at the same time. "Does your mum know?" he asks and I nod, looking down at my hands.

"I told her when it started to get out of hand, I'd catch him nearly everyday. I had to tell her because I knew this wasn't right." I answer him, clearing my throat afterwards. "We got him help, he went to this special clinic but... I know my dad. He doesn't want anyone to worry, doesn't want help so... if we try to help him he won't take it."

Hyunjin doesn't reply but hugs me again and we go back to our previous position. I don't cry this time as I just feel tired.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that." he whispers and I close my eyes, trying not to break down again. "Do you want me to tell Felix? So you don't have to." he suggests and I nod.