pt. thirty-two

Florence

"Hi, dad." I greet my father when all of us walk into his hospital room the next day.

He sits up when he sees us, a massive grin appearing on his face and he holds his arms out so I don't hesitate to give him a much needed hug.

"My darling." he whispers, stroking my back. "It's good to see you,"

"How are you feeling?" I ask, pulling away from him and sitting down on the end of his bed.

"I'm fine, love. I promise." he stokes my arm with his usual kind smile.

"Ah, Lix." my dad sees my brother and opens his arms out to him, hugging him too.

"Hi, dad." Felix sits on the chair next to the bed and gestures to Hyunjin. "We bought someone with us."

"Hyunjin! Hello my boy, how are you doing?" my dad greets him and they hug.

"I'm doing fine, thank you. How are you?" Hyunjin replies, breaking apart from my dad.

"I'm feeling a lot better, thank you. I had a relapse but I'm okay, I promise." he gives us all a loving smile. "Thank you for seeing me, you didn't have to."

"We did, dad. Plus, I missed you loads." I reply and kisses my forehead right when my mum walks through the room, holding a cup of tea.

"Here you are." she places the cup on the table next to the bed and comes sit next to me.

We make conversation for the next hour or so, my dad catching up with everything from me and Felix at university to how Hyunjin is finding everything.

Seeing my father okay lifts a weight off my shoulders. The doctors told him things like this would happen so it's not like we weren't prepared.

But it still worries me, my dad is like my best friend.

I know seeing Hyunjin for the first time in years lifted my dad's spirits. It kind of makes me feel guilty as I was the one who made him leave in the first place.

If I never told him my feelings, he probably would've never have left.

"Okay, let's head off and let dad rest." Felix announces after a while of chatting and Hyunjin and I agree, saying our goodbyes to our dad. My mum will stay with him longer so we say goodbye to her too before leaving the hospital.

We planned to see him tomorrow before we leave the day after tomorrow. I feel bad leaving him but we'll be visiting again at Christmas so that's something to look foreword to.

The three of us grab lunch, eating our Burger King in the car. I sit in the back in silence, watching people walk and drive past out the car window. Felix and Hyunjin chat, laughing every now and then which hurts me a little.

I exposed myself to him, gave into him yet he treats me like this.

I drown out their conversation by going on my phone and texting Yeji to keep me distracted. It's nearly 1am back in England and Yeji doesn't go to sleep until 3am so she's more than happy to distract me.