- 16 - Lia

DAMIEN'S POV 

4 years ago...

"Mom, do we have to go to this dinner?" 

"Yes! Damien. She's my friend and since we are new to Arizona. It's good to know some people here". I'm not going to argue more about this, after all this is the least I could do for her. 

"And, listen, young boy, you will behave okay. People could say many things to piss you off but you have to control it." She said adjusting my shirt collar and I nod in response. 

I got to know that I have been diagnosed with IED, which means intermitted explosive disorder when I was just ten years old. Once my mother's boyfriend came home drunk and pulled out a random argument with her which ended up in him throwing a vase across the room right next to my mother's head. She didn't know that I saw what an abusive person her boyfriend is and she didn't know how angry that made me. That whole night I couldn't sleep and just accept the fact my mother almost died because of him. So, the next day I wrecked his car. Later on not only was he abusive to my mother but he was abusive to me too, which did not help my IED. 

Here, I am standing in front of a porch mentally begging myself to control my shit. The door opens we were welcomed by a lady who I assume is my mother's friend. 

"Hello, Lily please come in. It is so great to see you". For a fact I can assure you that she was lying. I don't know how but I always know when someone is lying. My mama says that it's a superpower but I think it's a curse because always knowing the truth hurts. 

As we entered, just as anyone would do I scanned the house. It was beautiful, neat and it looks so homely. I guess this is what looks like living in a happy healthy family. I reverted my attention back to the large stairway when I saw a young girl walk down. For a moment there I thought it was just a hallucination. She looks young, almost my age. She was wearing a beautiful blue colour dress but what struck me most was her dark brown eyes. She has those eyes that you could get lost in, it holds so much life. Never in my life have I seen such beautiful eyes. Her hair was mid-length and curly. Ever seen an angel with dark hair? Now, I can say that I have. 

Something about this girl makes me feel that there is nothing wrong in my life, that the world is not cruel, that everything is just perfect, I think I could tell what I feel is 'calmness'. I don't remember a day that I was calm because every single day I was tensed and angry. This girl right in front of my eyes gave me something that no doctor, myself and not even my own mother could give. 

"You know if you take a picture it will last longer" an angelic voice pulled me out of my thoughts. 

"Ah?". I couldn't even form my sentence when I saw she's right in front of me; just two steps away stands the girl that made me feel something that I have dreaded to feel for years.