32 | the park

I wince slightly when Cal softly dabs the alcohol swap to treat the cut on my lips

I wince slightly when Cal softly dabs the alcohol swap to treat the cut on my lips. I'm sitting on the couch in his living room, while he kneels in front of me.

It still seems surreal that a strong man like Zavier didn't bother to use all of his power to hit me. Wait, I don't even know if he used all of his power or not, but I felt like I was hit by a damn brick.

Come on, Mia. You're exaggerating. It's just a slap, not a punch.

I glance at the clock on the wall, which shows that it has just passed midnight. Thank God Jasmine is already asleep, because I haven't thought of a way to tell her how I got this bruise. That little girl has already despised Zavier, so this will definitely make her blood boil. Maybe I should just tell her that I tripped and fell. I know for sure that she wouldn't think that her brother hit me.

I stare at Cal, who looks like he can explode anytime that I don't even dare to ask him any question. He still looks deadly, and I gulp, swallowing my nervousness.

Once he finishes treating the cut, I finally brace myself to speak. "Are you mad at me?" My voice is barely a whisper, and our eyes meet.

"Did you know how I felt when I ran up the stairs?" he asks me back, his voice low.

I go silent, not knowing what to say.

"I told you countless times that you shouldn't be in that place. If I hadn't been informed that you were there, you--"

"I would have run," I finish it for him.

"He hurt you," Cal speaks through gritted teeth.

Right. I must admit that triggering Zavier wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I just couldn't stand the way he spoke of Cal.

Cal doesn't speak again. His eyes darken as he looks away, and that makes me wonder with frustration because I know that this is all my fault.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask softly, cautiously.

"You don't want to know what's on my mind."

I sigh, holding his hand in mine, feeling the tension on his body slightly ease when I do that. "What is it?" I whisper. "Please, tell me?" I squeeze his hand gently, and he sighs.

"Zavier." His voice is as cold as ice.

"And what about him?"

"I don't know." Cal clenches his jaw. "There are so many things I want to do to him. Break his neck. Slice his body into pieces."

I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

"It's not funny." He glares at me.

Okay. That's the first time he throws me a glare, but the funny thing is that I'm not scared at all. However, I decide to zip my mouth, and silence fills the air.