36 | torn

When Dad comes down to have dinner with us tonight, I'm relieved to see that he's getting better, so much better than how he looked when he was lying on the hospital bed yesterday

When Dad comes down to have dinner with us tonight, I'm relieved to see that he's getting better, so much better than how he looked when he was lying on the hospital bed yesterday. I'm glad that he has recovered quickly, and I hope that the blood sugar spike won't happen again as long as he maintains a healthy diet.

Dad takes a seat across me, next to Mom, while I'm already taking the second bite of my dinner. I can't help it because I'm so hungry. It has been a while since I didn't taste Mom's cooking, and tonight's menu is my favorite lemon pepper chicken.

No matter where I live, nothing can beat home.

The dinner goes quiet, mostly because the atmosphere is still awkward after the disaster that happened in this house. Yes, I can say that the huge fight between me and Dad was a disaster. It's the worst feeling ever.

"Take more meats, Mia. You've gotten thinner." Mom is the first one to break the silence, and I'm more than happy to take her advice, knowing that she purposely cooked my favorite food.

Dad still doesn't say a single word, and that makes me wonder if he's still angry at me.

Of course, he is, Mia. He's not going to grow soft on you until you break up with Cal.

When Dad clears his throat, my heart leaps at the thought of him finally wanting to talk to me again. But then, the words that leave his mouth make me freeze in an instant. "We're moving out. To New York."

I stop chewing the food in my mouth, and my dining utensils stop in mid-air.

Did I hear him right? Did he just say that we're going to leave Florida?

Before I can absorb what's happening, Dad's voice echoes again in the dining room, "My new business will be headquartered there, and we'll move there this weekend. Your mother will help you pack your bags."

I feel like the world around me stops. This is just too shocking and sudden for me to comprehend.

"If you choose to be with that guy, do as you wish, but I will disown you as my daughter."

Now, I feel like my heart stops beating. A great pain slices my heart. How could he say such a thing so easily?

"If you still think of me as your father, you will cut all ties with him. Leave him for your own good, and start a new life in New York." Dad's voice is firm. There isn't an ounce of hesitance in it. "But if you still want to be with him, then you're out of our life. You are free to live on your own. With no family. With no money. I doubt that you will be able to go to college. Do not ever seek us anymore. Understood?" This time, his voice is shaking, letting me know that it's hard for him too to make such an ultimatum, that I would burn him if I ever chose the latter option.

Dad stands up, the sound of the chair being dragged echoing in the room as he walks off.

Mom lets out a soft cry, but before she can say something to me, Dad's voice makes her stop. "Leave her alone." And with that, Mom stands up and walks off too, following him, leaving me alone at the dining table with heart shattered, crushed all over the place.

The dining utensils I'm holding finally drop, the sound of them clattering against the table echoing in my ears.

I know that Mom didn't even try to take my side because she, just like Dad, is against my relationship with Cal.

I'm alone here, facing all of this turmoil alone. A tear drops onto my cheek as my heart screams in agony.

Why is this happening to me?

Is it really forbidden for me to love him? 

Am I really not allowed to see Cal again? Never ever again?

My heart is dying, my soul crushed. I don't want to choose between the man I love with all my heart, and my own father.

 I don't want to choose between the man I love with all my heart, and my own father

The bar is always packed on Friday night, but tonight, it's almost full. I've never expected that I would cause such an impact on this place, but Gordon seems very happy with the result.

I can't be more grateful for everything that has happened to my life lately. I've finally had a new job outside that cursed place. Even though I don't earn as much as I did when I was in the band due to the nature of the illegal activities going in there, what Gordon gives me now is enough for me and Jasmine to continue living as it is.

The crowd gives me a round of applause when I finally finish my session tonight, and although I'm quite satisfied with my performance, something is missing.

Because Amy isn't here.

I've lost count of how many times I've glanced at her usual spot tonight, only to find that she didn't come here in the end.

She has been quiet these past few days. She hasn't even talked to me again about our plan to bring Jasmine here with us so that Jasmine can finally see me working. After all this time, I can finally allow Jasmine to come to my workplace because it's now safe enough for her. Daytime would be perfect for her to be here with Amy, watching me perform.

I'm trying not to be bothered too much by Amy's absence lately, not only her physical absence but also her lack of response to my texts and calls.

I know that I just miss her. I miss her so much.

I hope that I didn't scare her away after she knew how crazy I'd been about her.

Fuck. The tattoo is definitely a shocker, but it's not like anything would change. Whether I have this tattoo or not, Amy has owned my heart. That's a fact no one can get rid of.

As I said, I'm in love with her. I'm fucking in love with the most amazing girl in the world.

I sit on the stool at the bar and gulp down a bottle of beer, my mind revolving around my girlfriend. Fun fact: a large portion of my brain is nowadays consumed with the thought of how to make her happy.

While the image of her smiling face clouds everything else in my mind, the melody keeps coming back. She's the melody that keeps playing in my head.

"Cal," Gordon's voice makes me turn my head. He's rushing to me, and I wonder why he's such in a hurry. "You have a guest."

***
AN:

Keep scrolling for Chapter 37.