Fruits of labour

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

                        ❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

"(Y/N), can you pass me that hammer?"

Passing the hammer to the honorary knight who was patching up the cottage roof, you observed his handiwork in awe. It was midday and the sun was beating down restlessly upon your skin. You could only feel bad for Aether as he did most of the hard work outside whilst you cleaned and dusted out the inside. Even Paimon, with the temptation of food, helped you turn the kitchen, bedrooms, and washroom into what seemed like brand new rooms you would find in a newly-built house. Venti had left before you all had begun renovation, excusing himself due to his "busy" schedule.

Grabbing a straw woven basket, you left through the door that no longer creaked as much as it used to, calling Aether once you were out.

"Aether, I need to search for some ingredients for lunch. I shall return soon!" You bellowed, hoping the hardworking traveller could hear you. Aether looked away from his work, nodding and yelling back to you. "Alright!"

Before you could walk down the dirt path, the little pixie Paimon came to your side. "Paimon is coming with you! It's getting boring with nothing to do..." Paimon insisted, mumbling the last part of her sentence so Aether couldn't hear her complaining. You smiled, finding it cute how she puffed out her porcelain-like cheeks. "Come on then, we don't want to make Aether wait!"

As Aether watched the two of you run off like playful children, he unknowingly smiled as he heard your joyous giggles, reminding him of when he used to play with his sister. So far, his progress had stagnated after returning from Liyue, after facing his sister once again and watching how she turned her back on him made him feel hopeless. Shaking off those thoughts, Aether finished the last wooden panel that needed to be placed upon the roof. Climbing down, he rushed into the house to take shelter from the blistering rays of the sun.

Wandering around the cottage that no longer was in such disarray, Aether found something that intrigued him. Approaching the small table by the fireplace, he found an old photo, withered from the years it had endured. Inspecting it further, he noticed that it was a photo of an elegant lady wearing a massive kimono and a child that stood beside her, adorning a beautiful kimono and holding a decorative wooden box. What Aether found surprising was the same floppy bunny ears on the child's head, realising that the young girl in the photo was you. Even though you held no expression in the photo, Aether still saw a tiny smirk upon your face as you stood proudly next to the elaborate woman.

Flipping over the photo, there was a description on the back written in black ink that was partially smudged and surrounded by what seemed to be tear stains. Although curious, Aether could not read the text as it was written in the Inazuman language. Carefully placing the photo back from where it lay, Aether found another that was hidden behind the first photo. This time it was you again, albeit much older and dressed in a different kimono that was similar to the one that the elaborate woman wore in the first photo. Standing next to you was a woman, dressed in quite an odd kimono that revealed her legs and shoulders. The older woman had long braided hair; Aether found it quite weird that someone had scratched out her face, finding no recollection of any facial features, only scribbles that nearly ripped through the photo.