Chapter 4

PETE

"Noodles, tomatoes, eggs, ground beef..." He softly mumbled to himself checking the things on his grocery basket, the only thing he's missing now is cheese, well three different variety of it anyway.

It's Friday afternoon, the only free time he allows himself to have for the week and makes sure that he do something he likes more than drafting proposals and making sure he has a lot more money under his name that he has yesterday.

Cooking, it's his own definition of therapeutic experience. He can still vividly remember the first time he tried cooking, he almost burned down his parents' kitchen and he was just trying to make some hard-boiled eggs. As the perfectionist that he is, it frustrated him to no end that he can't do a simple task without failing.

I then ask Nana Tess, who was my nanny when I was a child turned to be my parent's housekeeper when I was old enough to look after myself, to teach me simple dishes. She happily indulged me and that started my cooking obsession.

Standing in front of the cheese isle, I take some ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan and put it all in the basket. Rechecking that I have everything that I need to make some lasagna, I went straight to the self-checkout counter and paid for everything.

Thankfully the supermarket was only walking distance to his place, very convenient that he doesn't need to find a parking space on this busy Friday.

Going straight to the kitchen once I arrived home, I started to prepare all the things I need. Pulled out all the spices out of the spice rack and make sure the pots and pans are clean before I use it. After an hour or so I'm already putting the assembled lasagna in the oven and I just need to wait another forty-five minutes until its cooked.

It is so easy for me to get lost while I'm in the kitchen, I can confidently say that this is actually one of my passion. Only the twins, Nana Tess and my parents knows about this little obsession of mine.

That is also why when I bought this condominium unit, I made sure there is a wide space for the kitchen. I didn't care that it was only a one-bedroom unit, as long as I can put a big kitchen counter where I can work and big oven and stove, I'm good with it.

I moved out my parents' house two years ago, using the returns I got from those investments I made from my trust fund that came from my grandparents, that was handed over to me just after my eighteenth birthday.

The place is near DBU, just a ten-minute drive and also very easy drive to my parents' office, that also added to the factor why I choose this particular building.

The unit is under installment for three years, my parents drilled to me to don't buy things in cold cash when you can pay it in installment, that just wasting opportunities they say. A year more and I'm done paying this place and I'm thinking of buying some more property, maybe a commercial lot.

Sitting on one of the three stools in front of the kitchen counter, I got my laptop and work on some of my remaining school projects while waiting for the lasagna to cook.

*Ding*

As I heard the timer went off, I stood up and get the dish out of the oven after making sure that it's already cooked and don't need additional time in the oven.

Checking the time on my phone, it still early enough if I invite my parents to come over for dinner. It seems like a long time ago that I had a meal with them. It's not that I don't see them, I see them often enough, but mostly on working environment.

I dialed Mom's number and on the third ring she answers.

"Friday and your calling me, isn't this your me time?" I heard Mom's teasing voice on the other line.