Chapter 16

PETE

Ever since I've been involved in my fathers' businesses, this is the very first time that I'm not excited to travel to another city or town for an opening of a project that I lead. It's Friday afternoon and I'm supposed to be in the grocery store right now looking for ingredients for my weekly cook out, but here I am packing an overnight bag instead.

The opening ceremony will start at eight in the morning tomorrow and to get there it will be a four-hour drive. I choose to book a hotel room than to travel early in the morning on Saturday and risk being late. My parent's will be there, but they can arrive whatever time they want, I'm the one who needs to be there from the start.

Zipping the overnight bag close, I see the clothes I borrowed from Kao at the orphanage, I think it's been already more than a month ago, I put it in my night stand yesterday so I will not forget to give it to Kao whenever he comes over. I look at it long and hard, before I finally get it and put it inside the bag I was packing.

Ahh Pete what are you doing? Tsk, whatever, I'll just ask.

Turning back to my closet, I pulled out another set of clothes and two extra pairs of brand-new underwear. I'm just thankful I like to have things like this ready to use for emergency travels.

Picking up the overnight bag and my laptop, I made sure that all electronics are plug off first before going out and locking my unit. I drive somewhere first before heading my way to Glitzy café, its Friday Kao will be off at six, its only four-thirty in the afternoon. I'll just hang around the café until then.

There was a little mishap regarding the opening of the store last Monday that I've been in and out of calls and all my free time are spent at my father's office for the whole week. Thankfully we finally resolve it yesterday morning with just a little added cost involve. But because of that I couldn't go to the bar with Kao for his birthday celebration and haven't really have time to hang out at the café.

"Pete, you're here." Kao says, he looks surprised but very happy to see me. "I thought you'll be on your way to Red Town by now." He continued saying.

Kao is currently behind the cash register and me standing right in front of him.

"Come with me." Is the first thing I say to him.

"Huh?" He looks confused.

"Come with me to Red Town." Why do I feel nervous about asking him?

"I'd love to but.." Kao hesitated, but he needs to come with me. I don't know why, he just needs to.

"I went to the orphanage to ask Papa Ed, he said it's fine. I already brought extra clothes for you." I reasoned out.

"Uhh." Why is he hesitating? I already ask Papa Ed permission, oh maybe the kids.

"Don't worry Papa Ed did mention you have some activities with the kids on Sunday, we will be home by tomorrow night." I promised.

"Well you already thought of everything," He chuckles, "Go sit first, I'll serve you coffee. I'll be off in an hour then we can go. That's fine with you?" He asks, both of us now smiling happily.

"Yeah, sure." I then went to sit on my usual table, letting the customer next to me order.

"You two have fun." Sam say as Kao is finally off work, she is behind the counter, the girl who is supposed to take over Kao is running a little late, but Sam said that we can go and that she can manage alone for a few minutes.

"He's going there for work Sam." Kao reasoned out.

"And you're going there because?" She teased Kao while giving me side glances.