Twenty six

Peter ignored the guilt trying to gain his attention as he laid the Spider-Man suit out on the hotel bed. It was simple to find the folded parts of the cloth and peel it back to expose the hidden wiring underneath. It was a genius design and he couldn't help but gush in his head at how Stark technology had changed. He remembered when he saw the first Ironman suit on tv. The thing had looked clunky and heavy. The Spider-Man suit was as thin and comfortable as a second skin. It really was amazing. Tate was amazing. Peter smiled around the flashlight in his mouth as he exposed the small USB port. On top of it was the tiniest words. Tate Doe Stark. The creator's signature.

"Peter why are we removing the tracker from your suit?" Ned asked as he plugged the suit into the computer.

Peter took out the flashlight. "Because I've got to follow these guys to their boss when they move again and I really don't want Mr Stark to know about it".

"So you're lying to iron man and Tate now?"

"No I'm not lying. Mr Stark just doesn't really get what I can do yet. And I don't want Tate to get involved".

Ned sighed and turned to his computer screen. "He's Ironman's son. He's always involved".

Peter ignored him, focusing on the tracker. He let out a pleased breath as he pried the little bug from the wires. "Alright Happy. You have fun tracking this lamp". He let out a breath as he stuck the tracker to the bedside lampshade. 

"There's a ton of other subsystems in here", Ned announced, fingers tapping on the keys of his laptop. The screen was full of green text as the programming scrolled by. "I really should ask Tate how he did all this. Wait, they're all disabled by the training wheels protocol". He sniggered.

"What?" Peter flopped over the bed to get a look at the screen. "Turn it off". The fact that there was a training wheels protocol made him feel insulted. Did they not trust him?

"I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, it's there for a reason right?"

"Urgh I don't need training wheels", Peter whined. He rolled over and bounded onto the other bed, bouncing on the squeaky mattress. "I'm sick of them treating me like a kid all the time. It's not cool". 

"But you are a kid".

"Yeah a kid who can stop a bus with his bare hands".

"But didn't Tate build this suit?" Ned pointed out. "He's a kid. So obviously he thinks you need it".

"Tate's just scared", Peter kicked the pillow with a huff, hating how his voice went high. "He told me himself, he can't handle it. Why should that hold me back? How can I be a hero if he and Mr Stark won't let me do anything? He's being mean".

"Peter", Ned sighed. "I just don't think this is a good idea. What if it's illegal?"

"Ned please. I just want a chance to prove myself. I can handle it", Peter bounced back over to him. "Ned come on".

"I just don't think this is a good idea", Ned huffed again.

"Guy in the chair", Peter whispered.

"Don't do that".

"Come on".

Ned let out a defeated sigh and pressed a few keys. There was a beep and the suit lit up. Bright blue light sparking down the wiring. Peter grinned. "You're the best!" He bounded over and unplugged the suit. Pulling it with him as he ran into the bathroom to change.

Ned watched as he pulled hoodie over the suit. Peter opened the room door and peered out to see the dark hall. "Keep an eye on the glowy thing. It's evidence", he instructed. Ned nodded as he picked up the purple glowing orb.

"Okay. Be safe". He called as Peter shut the door.

Peter made it a few steps before stopping suddenly as Liz rounded the corner. "Hey Liz". Liz was in a black and white swimming costume and had a towel draped over one shoulder. Her face lit up in a smile as she saw him. Peter reflexively smiled back.

"Peter. Great timing. We're going to go swimming". She waved back behind her and the others ran past. Abe first in a yellow tshirt and red swimming shorts. Sally and Cindy in the white hotel bath robes. The two girls giggling and waving hello as they passed. Peter turned then yelped as Flash smacked him on the arse before diving past.

"That's pretty gay Flash", he heard Tate whisper shout after him. Peter turned as Tate pushed his hair out of his face. "Hi Petey boy", he grinned smoothly. He was wearing dark blue swim trunks that seemed slightly too short to Peter. His white hotel robe was hanging over over his shoulders, showing off bare chest. He was lean but lightly muscles from exercise. Peter could see the red line of his surgery scar in the dim light. It curved around the left side of his belly button. About ten centimetres long with two matching one on each knee. They were all red but healing well.

Tate smiled at him. White teeth flashing and hair falling over his face again. "You coming Peter?" He asked, eyes drifting down. Peter saw the way his eyebrows raised as he recognised the suit underneath the hoodie.

"Um yeah, meet you there". Peter nodded back, slightly distracted by the skin Liz and Tate were showing. (He didn't know who to focus on!!) too much leg. Chest! Ahhhhh! He blinked and tried to focus on their eyes. Gazes snapping between the two of them. Two beautiful bodies with different shades of gold skin. It was all too much.

Tate looked over at Liz then something in his face fell. "Okay. See you in a bit". He walked smoothly round Peter, body turning so that they didn't touch as he passed. Then he was waving and speeding up slightly after the others.

"Come with us", Liz smiled. Her tone coxing.

"I was going to go and study um"- Peter was suddenly distracted by the sight down the corridor. Tate had pulled off the bath robe and had rolled it into a ball, throwing it at Abe. (Arms! Back! Shoulder blades!)

"Peter you don't need to study you're like the smartest guy I've ever met", Liz sighed gently. Peter turned back to her, hearing Tate's stifled laughter echo back to them. His enhanced hearing picking up the muffled giggles. He struggled to keep his gaze on her face. "Besides", Liz paused. "I've read that um rebellious group activity before a competition is good for morale. Well I read that in a red talk so". She flicked her hair nervously. "I heard it in a Ted talk. And I read a coaching book". She blinked big brown eyes. Tate also had big brown eyes. Though his was slightly more red. Liz's had a golden tone, like honey but Tate's were the colour of warm coals. Peter hadn't ever realised that distinction before.

"Wow. This is really important to you", he muttered. Down the corridor there was a ding for the lift and he heard the group chattering. Tate's voice standing out.

"Yeah. This is our future. I'm not going to screw this up", Liz shrugged. "Besides I raided the mini bar and these candy bars were like eleven dollars", she picked one up and tossed it to him. Peter fumbled as he caught it. "So get your trunks on and meet us down there". She grinned at him then skipped after the others. Peter watching her go with a slightly dreamy sigh.

Ten minutes later he perched on the glass roof of the pool house, watching tree group down below. Flash took a dive, splashing Cindy who retaliated. Their forms dark in the blue water. All the light coming from the bottom of the pool. Abe was talking to Liz and Sally. Liz perched on the wall with her legs dangling in the water. Peter watched as she laughed and smiled as she responded. Then his eyes turned over to Tate. The boy was floating on his back in the water. Hair a black halo around his head and eyes looking up as the blue lapped at him. He looked weightless and calm there. Just floating without a care.

Peter jolted as Tate looked over towards him. It was too dark for the boy to see him properly but some of the light must have caught on his suit. A flash of red in the dark. Peter peered down and watched as Tate mouthed something at the roof. 'Be careful'. Then the boy was rolling over in the water and smoothly swimming over to join Liz and Abe. Peter swallowed and pulled on his mask. He had bad guys to find.

Unedited

Peter in Bi/pan (whatever label) panic.