29 - keeping secrets

kiara's disappointed to find out jj's gone out when she wakes up, but part of her mind is glad. because she can't get lucas out of her mind. him popping up randomly last night has left a constant sour taste in her mouth, she hasn't tried to get a new restraining order against him. why the fuck was he there. its twisting her up inside, and she can't talk to jj about it so maybe its for the best that he's not there.

pope, sarah and john b are busy too- john b and sarah are planning some event and pope's spending the dad with his parents. kiara has no idea what her parents are up to, since she's gotten back with jj they seem to be keeping a distance. or maybe they're just busy, who knows.

painstaking memories remain in her head, she can't help but wonder if she'll ever be able to shake away the memories and trauma of lucas' abuse. the distraction of her friends' + family's company helps, and the distraction of work was helping too. but her mental health declining also distracts her from work. so its a lose-lose situation for her, especially when dalton won't let her come in. 

but when did kiara ever listen to command? she's sick of wallowing in her thoughts, so she grabs her keys and sets off, as usual it takes a few hours to get to agua .corp - and if she's honest, driving there is giving her flashbacks to when lucas ran he roff the road- another thing she can't talk about with anyone. of course people know, but nobody else has any reason to suspect it was anyone other than some random asshole.

when she arrives and see's emma at her desk, she doesn't need to sign in but she heads up to the desk anyways. emma's sheepishly typing up and email about god knows what, but she notices kie approaching and looks up in surprise, 'kiara, i didn't know dalton was expecting you?' she frowns, 'i must of forgotten, sorry'

kiara shakes her head softly, 'no don't worry, you haven't forgotten anything i'm and of here unannounced.' she explains, laughing almost nervously.

'oh' emma sighs out in relief.

'dalton's just in his office right?', emma nods hastily to this so kiara smiles and thanks her as she walks away.

another strewn out memory pops up in the elevator, it brings her back to her first day here when she first saw lucas again- when he leaned forward from behind her and whispered in her ear that he's glad she's here and working with dalton. but right now nobody is in there with her, she she steps in with ease.

unlike his appearance as a cashier yesterday, he actually has a job at agua- but he's never been interested in any form of law, not when kie knew him. the fucking psychopath got himself into a job here just out of the chance that kiara may end up here one day. he was right, but that doesn't make it any less crazy.

the ding of the elevator arriving at the correct floor makes her jump a little, as her mind wander back to the right place. when she knocks on dalton's door she hears him shout 'one minute!', hearing the voice of her friendly boss bring some comfort to her.

when he opens the door he's mid sip of his fresh cup of tea, he gulps it down in a hurry when he see's her. 'kiara!' he exclaims, 'i thought i said you don't need to come in for now?'

'i know. but i'm going crazy at home' she tells him, he sighs in response but smiles and moves aside so she can come in.

'i know you think you want to be here right now kie, but i don't know if that's the best idea' he tells her as he sits down in his chair and indicates her to sit opposite.

before kiara has chance to come back at him and argue that she wants to be here he carries on, 'you don't have to do the internship this year kiara. you have plenty of time left, plus i think you need to spend time with your friends right now- even if it hurts.'