8 - sleepless nights

(tag yourself, i'm the cup that woman's drinking from)

general pov:

// around one and a half years ago...

its been a month since kiara, pope, john b and sarah have returned to outer banks. everything is strange, obviously everyone in the town is shocked to see sarah and john b- they all sent to sarah's funeral and they heard of john b's, they watched their estranged friends grieve, then pretend they're dead.

so everyone looks at them, they stare. not only was there the whole secret non-dead friends thing there was 400 million in gold that they found, there was jj pullin' a houdini and there was kiara coming home with a shoulder wrapped in bandages.

out of everything, her shoulder bothered her mother the most. anna couldn't believe her little girl had been shot, she changed the dressing for her and applied some sort of cream to it until she didn't need to. but while wounds on the outside heal easily, ones on the inside don't heal so well.

it was a tuesday, kiara can remember that because her mom and her do bonding days on tuesday and that's all she had to look forward to- the only other things she could think of was nasseau, jj, her friends tiptoeing around her. but that day, there became one more thing to think about.

her mom was cooking on the island in the middle of the kitchen, kie's sat opposite her. kiara's been bouncing between her mom's house and her dad's. on tuesdays her mom always forced her to follow her everywhere apart from the bathroom, to make sure she doesn't spend all her time alone or something.

around the house kiara feels confident to wear vests and tops that show off her wound, because it's only her and her mom, or her and her dad. her mom had seen her wound before, it wasn't anything new- but today she can't stop looking at it. kiara notices and shifts uncomfortably in her chair, 'mom? what's up?' she asks.

anna snaps out of her trace. smiling softly and putting the knife she's using down. the look on her face as she makes her way round the island to kie makes her nervous. when she engulfs her in a hug, she takes in the sweet smell of kiara's perfume and exhales loudly, 'i'm sorry' she finally said to kiara.

kiara is puzzled, 'what have you possibly got to be sorry for mom?' she says back in a wind whisper.

her mom pulls out of the hug and looks her in the eyes, 'i let you down' she replies, stroking kiara's cheek gently.

kiara's eyes grow deep and her eyes form a frown, 'what?' she gasps.

anna closes her eyes for a moment as if bracing herself before she carries on, 'i failed you' she answers, glancing back to kiara's bullet wound again.

'what?' is all kiara can say.

'i didn't warn you enough...' she said, kiara is still frowning until she carries on, 'you weren't as safe as your friends around that gun and you got shot because i hadn't warned you enough'