5 - dressed in black

get your tissues ready kiddies

general pov:

small birds are flying above everyone's heads in synchronicity, almost like something out of cinderella. but this is nothing like a fairytale.

a small group is gathered in figure 8's churchyard, the group consists of jj, john b, pope, sarah and kiara along with a few of luke's friends, kiara's parents, rose and wheezie, and pope's parents.

the pogues stand at the front on the group, lined up with jj in the middle. since the other day they're almost a group again, except the fact things are still awkward because of jj leaving. but right now they know they need to be there for jj, john b and pope stand on either side of him and with their arms round his shoulders- sarah and kiara are stood by john b's side with linked arms.

the service is almost over, the priest is talking on and on about how luke is with god now- but everyone there know's he's not. nobody apart from the priest has spoke a word since the start, jj hasn't cried since when he was at his dad's place, just sitting by his body- waiting for the police to take him away. that was three days ago, since then jj's been staying with sarah and john b.

kiara can't look at him, she wants to help him and be there for him but being near him makes her anxious- forget talking to him. she hasn't said anything to him since a few nights ago when she showed him to her guest room. when they arrived at the funeral, kiara's mom willed her to go over to be with her friends for this occasion- as soon as she got there sarah grabbed her and kept her close to her, already knowing exactly how she's feeling.

when the service is over people come up one by one and pay their condolences to jj, as if they knew his dad- but the only person who knew the real luke maybank was jj. pope's parents, kiara's parents, rose and wheezie hung around for longer with the pogues. when kiara's dad saw jj he felt conflicted, he wanted to hurt him for hurting his daughter but his anger towards jj grew into anger towards luke- so he pulled jj into a hug.

at the sight of this kiara grew uncomfortable, it was strange for her to see. seeing them hug, makes her reminisce on the night she came home and found him in his parents arms after he'd told shoupe to go ahead with the trial against his dad- the night they made their relationship official, the night she first told him she loves him.

she feels sarah squeeze her arm, and she pulls her attention to her, rose and wheezie and starts a conversation with them.

after the funeral everyone breaks off, the pogues decide to meet at sarah and john b's- to drink jj's sorrows away. since kiara came in her dad's car she asked him to give her a lift there. as he drove she could see him fighting to urge to say something.

'dad? what's up?' she questions.

he sighs heavily and taps his fingers on the wheel as he uses it to steer. 'it's just... i don't understand' he says.