2 - Steven Grant Rogers

“Hello Mr Rogers, welcome. I’m Howard” Howard greets Steven eagerly.

He shakes Howard’s hand but locks eyes with you behind him, before returning back to Howard and glancing at Peggy and Erskine. He was smaller than expected, he was definitely a timid thing but the fact he made it into the army with the height and build he was, showed how tenacious he was.

You were already filled with admiration for him for the guts it took to want to join the army and take part in the war.

You step forward and give him a warm smile, which he returns, you extend your hand “I’m Evelyn, it’s a pleasure to meet you Mr Rogers”.

He shakes your hand and smiles “Please both of you call me Steve” you and Howard look at eachother before you look back at Steve and smile. “Okay Steve”.

Howard wraps an arm around his shoulders and quickly takes him under his wing, telling him about what the serum involves, the effect it will have on him, the pain, the potential side effects and all the potential risks.

As he was explaining, Howard would often glance at you, wink and smile, to reassure you and thank you for reminding him of what you were trying to do.

“You were right about him Peggy”. You say quietly as you both stood watching Howard and Steve.

“How do you know? You’ve barely spoke to him” Peggy questions, looking at you with furrowed eyebrows.

“He’s listening, he’s taking it in. He doesn’t just want this to be a big badass soldier and go on a rampage, he wants this for a reason, a purpose. He is a good man wanting to be a perfect soldier. Not a perfect soldier wanting to be a better man” you say gently.

Peggy turns on her heel to face you directly as she smiles widely at you. You look at her and quickly give her a confused look.

“Is everything okay?” you question.

“Oh everything is fine, just nice to know you actually understand what we’re doing here” Peggy exclaims.

“I’m sorry. Considering I’m one of the scientists behind the whole project, I’m fully aware of what we are doing here Agent Carter.” You state bluntly before walking off to join Steve and Howard.

Peggy goes to say something else but you walking away stops her, she awkwardly looks around before going to talk to a couple of her agents who are there to evacuate people should the experiment go wrong.

“How are we doing over here?” you ask politely.

Steve jumps at your sudden appearance but soon calms and gives you a soft smile “It’s okay, Howard was just talking me through the procedure” Steve explains.

“Any questions the genius behind you can’t answer or anything you want to ask me, please do not hesitate.” You say kindly.

“Thank you I appreciate that” Steve says politely.

Howard pats his back and you see Steve tense again, you give Howard a look and he excuses himself and all of the men in proximity to Steve. You take the seat next to him and he lowers his head.

“Are you sure everything is okay?” you ask quietly.

“I’m just nervous you know? I mean are you all sure you want me to do this? Surely there’s someone better th-than me?” he says sheepishly as he looks down at himself and shakes his head.

“Do you know how I met Howard?” you ask Steve carefully.

He looks at you and shakes his head.

You chuckle “My parents were setting me up to marry him. Because I “needed a husband” “no one would want a woman who is so independent and intelligent” according to my parents. Howard saw past that, he saw me, my intellect, my drive, and he rejected their idea, and that’s how we became bestfriends, he understood me. I told my parents where to stick their views and values and I went onto this, and now here I am. Howard is the best judge of character, he trusts Peggy. So I trust him. They are both insanely happy with you, you are exactly the kind of man they are looking for, for this” you say calmly.

“And you?” Steve asks carefully.

“You’re like me. Everyone in here could tell you how perfect you are, it won’t help. You need to believe in yourself before believing in everyone else. So Steve Rogers, do you believe in yourself? Because we all do otherwise you wouldn’t be sat here. What’s holding you back?” you ask quizzically.

“In case I let anyone down” Steve explains.

You smile “Oh you really are perfect for this. Steve, you won’t let anyone down, if anything we could let you down by it not working or by something bad happening to you. I know the requirements to get in the army and you definitely don’t meet them, which means you don’t give up without a fight, use that attitude here and you have already done more than you need to” you place a comforting hand on his shoulder.

He looks at you with soft eyes, he smiles and nods. You both stand and turn to Howard. Howard and Peggy turn to face you both and smile.

“You got this Steve” you say kindly.

“Ready pal?” Howard asks excitedly.

Giving you one more glance, you nod and smile at him and Steve looks back at Howard giving him a subtle nod. Erskine and Howard help him into the chamber and you step up next to it with a syringe in your hand, once he is strapped in the men step aside allowing you more room.

“Not afraid of needles are you?” you ask playfully.

“No ma’am” Steve answers sheepishly.

“Always so polite, but please call me Evelyn” you give him a soft smile. “Sharp scratch in 3, 2, 1” you inject the needle into the veins on his inner elbow and inject the serum.

Steve winces initially but then looks at his arm once you remove the needle.

He returns his head back against the headrest in the chamber as you step away and stand by Howard who has the controls for the chamber.

You place a hand on the back of Howard’s shoulder and he places his hand on top, comforting one another.

“Okay Private, let’s begin. Howard, Evelyn please close the chamber and initiate the vita radiation if you will?” Erskine carefully instructs and Howard promptly follows, closing the chamber.

You squeeze his shoulder, forcing him to look back and you draw his attention to Peggy, who looked a little worse for wear and uncomfortable. Howard cleared his throat, catching Erskine’s attention and Erskine quickly caught on.

“To anyone who would care to join me in the viewing room, it has air conditioning and isn’t filled with all these overbearing scientists” Erskine jokes.

Easing the tension and giving her the perfect out, Peggy quickly turns on her heel and follows Erskine to the viewing room above the lab. Howard turns to you with a smile.

“Are you sure you hate her?” Howard asks sarcastically.

“Don’t start, let’s get this going.” You press the button for the microphone in the viewing room “Project Rebirth initiating in 3, 2, 1. Vita radiation commence”.

Howard follows your instructions perfectly and presses the button to open the valves into the chamber, you look in the window of the chamber as you see Steve close his eyes and take a deep breathe, exhaling straight away.

You turn to see Howard already looking at you, nerves flooding his eyes.

You give him a small sympathetic smile and a nod “let’s do this, lucky charm” you whisper. Howard’s tension immediately eases.

“You got it nugget” He reaches over and starts turning the dial, edging up in tens as you both turn to watch the chamber intently.

The only noise filling the room was the gusts of air pushing out the radiation of the chamber.