40 - The Original Genius

-15 years later-

"I told you that needed to be taken care of this week." You belt at your secretary.

"Evelyn." Howard shouts sternly.

"Hi darling." You turn to face him with a sweet smile.

"Nice try, that smile won't wash with me. Please excuse Mrs Stark today Jessie, she's extra cranky. You still have 3 days to finish that report. Please take your time." He pleasantly addresses your secretary.

You watch her swooning over your husband and it makes your blood boil. "Carry on like that Jessie and you might not need to finish the report. You'll be filling in application forms instead." You hiss at her.

"EVELYN." Howard barks at you.

"Howard, I don't know who you think you're talking to. But if 15 years of marriage and 25 years of friendship hasn't taught you yet, I'll remind you, no one. And I mean no one speaks to me like that." You says cooly and you watch him tense under your words as you walk past him and into your office.

After you sit down Howard comes in and closes the door behind him.

"Howard I really do not need your lectures today. Save it for your expos, your conferences, your whatever else you have planned that keeps you away from home." You spit out as you swivel away from him.

"Evie, come on darling."

"No. No. Stop. Don't try and make out this is me reading too much into anything. You haven't been home for weeks. This is the first I've property seen you and the first thing you do is undermine me in front of our employees and then scold me for calling her out for fawning over my husband IN MY FACE." You rant on.

As you turn to face Howard he has his usual irresistible smirk on his face.

"Go away with that darn smile Stark." You pout.

"Nugget, look at me." You raise your head to meet his gaze as he was crouched in front of you. "I love you. I've loved you our entire friendship and I will continue to love you long after we leave this earth."

You smile.

"But if you continue to come into work whilst you're in your last few weeks of your pregnancy when you know you should be taking it easy, you're asking for a scolding and undermining because darling, you're unreasonable when you're worked up and stressed."

"But it's so boring at home." You continue to pout. "If I promise to stay in my office out of the way can I come in?" You plead.

He laughs, kissing your forehead. "No. Now I'll get Jarvis to come-"

"No need. BUCKY!." You shout. Within 2 minutes Bucky comes bursting through the door, initially looking worried. But as he sees Howard stood next to you, he smiles and shakes his head with his hands on his hips.

"I told you we should have come later in the afternoon." Bucky toys.

"Not the time Bucky. Time to go. Bosses orders." You roll your eyes as Bucky helps you up and escorts you out.

"Take care of my two girls Sargeant." Howard shouts as you walk away. You can stop the smile that spreads across your face.

"Of course I will boss." Bucky replies.

As you get home, Bucky helps you to the couch and gets you a snack from the kitchen, placing it in front of you on the coffee table.

"Now Bucky tell me why are you with me, instead of Steve?" You ask.

"SHIELD." Is all he can reply.

You nearly choke on your snack. "I'm sorry come again? He's what?"

"Yeah my sentiments exactly. He didn't agree with me and well you know how that goes." Bucky says defeated.