39 - Stark, Evelyn Lois Stark

"Miss Miller you will be late." Jarvis announced up the stairs.

"Jarvis, you've been Howard's right hand man for many many years. If I have to keep reminding you to call me Evie I will lose my damn mind."

"But Mr Stark prefers-"

"Thats because he's pompous and slightly arrogant. I, however prefer Evie. Please." You plead.

"Okay, fine. Evie. Still doesn't change the fact that you will be late if we don't leave right away." Jarvis explains in a panic.

"Howard always said I'd be late to my own funeral." You say jokingly.

"I don't think the saying has quite the same amusement when applied to your wedding day Evie." He says more serious.

"I can see why he likes you so much. You're just like him." You roll your eyes and laugh.

"Less eye roll Evie and more movement. Preferably out of the front door if you'd please." He was getting desperate now.

"EVELYN GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE NOW." A yell roared from the foyer making you jump.

You pick up the skirt of your dress and pop your head around the door and you hear the thudding up the stairs, curiosity kept your glued to the door.

"Evelyn." Bucky says more sternly.

"Why didn't I guess they'd send the muscle." You wink.

"Cute. Come on, you know he'll have a heart attack." He says hurriedly.

"I do believe the wedding day is the brides day, so if I want to take a leisurely pace I'm well in my right too." You say sarcastically.

"Ordinally, yes. But given your fiancée is a former playboy, his paranoia that you'll get cold feet and run is quite high." Bucky explains as politely as he can.

You nod. Understanding why everyone was panicking. You finally reveal yourself and Bucky takes a literal step back. Gawking, with tears pricking his eyes.

You were in a white laced detailed dress, that had a layered skirt, puffing out from the waist. There were buttons detailing up the front from your waist to your chest, with mid-length lace sleeves. Your hair was in a sleek bun on the back of your head.

Natural and subtle makeup, with extra glow to make it different from your everyday look.

"Evelyn. You are stunning." Bucky exclaims.

"Bucky stop it. You'll have me crying. I can't have puffy eyes on my wedding..."

"Not the day anyway." Bucky can't help himself.

"BUCKY BARNES." You say shocked, but proud. "Okay let's go."

Bucky offers you his arm and you accept, grasping the handrail as you were descending the staircase. As you looked up, you saw Jarvis looking at you with love and admiration. A tear rolling down his face.

"Jarvis are you going soft?" You ask playfully.

"I've waited for this day a lot longer than you have Evie. I'm happy it's finally happening." As he wipes a tear from his cheek.

You are then driven to the venue. The plaza. Very Howard.

As you pulled up to the entrance the stairs were lined with a white carpet dotted with red and yellow petals. Roses. Of course.

Bucky gets out and offers his hand for you to get out. You then link onto his arm as you ascend the staircase. Staff members open the grand doors for you to enter and you're met with multiple doors and a grand hallway.

But the white carpet with red and yellow petals only went ahead, you followed the petals and another set of staff members opened those doors and as they do, you're met with Steve's smiling face, with Howard having his back to you.

The seats are filled with various friends, distant family, staff.

"Mind if I take over from here and you can join the groom?" A husky voice asks.

You look to your left and there stood Colonel Asher beaming.

"Marcus." You say sweetly.

"May I have the honour my sweet?" He asks wholeheartedly.

"I'd love nothing more." You smile at him.

Linking with him, a lady comes to you with your bouquet, mixture of black and yellow sunflowers. You had a few bridesmaids, 2 old school friends and a lab tech you were work sisters with.

They walked up the aisle ahead of you. Then the music started for you. Everyone stood and turned to you, as you started walking, your eyes were set on Howard.

You saw Steve nudge him when you had started walking and as Howard looks at you, his legs get wobbly, he instantly wells up and covers his mouth.

The reaction you had dreamed of. The look of love. Pure. True. Full love.

As you reach Howard, him and Marcus shake hands and Marcus kisses you on the cheek before taking his seat with the rest of the guests and you and Howard take your positions at the alter.

If you were honest most of the ceremony was a blur. You didn't pay much attention to the minister, you were too busy admiring your husband. Your bestfriend. Replaying how you got here in your head.

"...time for the vows." The minister announces. "Ladies first." They announce, pointing to you.

You nervously giggle. "I hate that saying." Everyone erupts into laughter, Howard shaking his head at you. "Howard, given how we met this is exactly where certain people expected us to get... except without the years of laughs, tears, adventures, rituals, knowledge and love I've had with you since the day we met. You aren't only going to be my husband. You're my confidant, my bestfriend, my human journal, my partner... you're everything. There's nothing I can't achieve if I have you by my side." You say sincerely.

Howard takes a deep breathe "Jeez, how am I supposed to follow that." Once again erupting the room in laughter. "Evelyn, everyone makes the mistake of underestimating you and living to regret it. I'm glad I didn't. I saw you for the brilliant, ruthless yet kind, harsh but fair, sharp, independent woman you are and I have adored you more every day for it. But what I love even more is that you allow yourself to be vulnerable with me, you allow me to take care of you, to look out for you, defend you, advocate for you. It's what I live for. To be your safety net when you want to fall."

Your eyes were filled with tears, daring to roll down your face and ruin your makeup. You put your head back and blink them away.

"Oof that was a close one." You say jokingly, pulling another laugh from everyone.

Then it was time for the I do's. The minister asked each of you in turn.

"I do." Howard says smiling.

"Of course I do." You say back happily.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. Mr Stark you may kiss your bride." The minister finalises.

Howard smiles, gently cupping your face and pulling you into a gentle but passionate kiss.

The room filled with cheers whistling and clapping. As you parted you smiled and faced the crowd, grinning from ear to ear. You were finally happy.

You walked back down the aisle snd instead of having a reception, Howard had arranged for you both and Steve and Bucky to get away... for you it was your honeymoon. For Steve and Bucky it was Buckys year anniversary of finally being rid of The Winter Soldier.

As you all got in the car, this time Howard drove. Jarvis was instead amongst the crowd waving you off as they exited the plaza. They had a party, Howard wasn't that cruel.

"Ready to go Mrs Stark?" Howard asks.

"With you? Always Mr Stark." You reply playfully.