8 - Refocus

"Here Miss Miller" someone speaks from behind you.

"Ah perfect, thank you" you say softly and excitedly.

You turn to Peggy and Steve, Steve furrowing his brows at you, not fully understanding the situation. He wasn't the only one, Peggy was looking between you and Steve, before zoning in on someone behind you. You roll your eyes and slowly turn to see Howard.

You clutch the records to your chest and lean against the table behind you, smirking "Yes, Howard?".

"What are you doing with those records?" Howard questions sarcastically.

"For his outfits of course" you smile, and put the files over your shoulder, still locking eyes with Howard "Steve, be a darling for me and go and get copies of these made for me please. A dozen should do it".

"Of course Evelyn" Steve shyly replies, also confused.

Howard tilts his eye and narrows his eyes at you. "Why are you looking at me like that? Photoshoots, billboards and interviews require outfits, since he is going to be plastered everywhere he needs the very best, which means getting started right away" you try to sound sincere, for Peggy's benefit, but the smug smile on your face told Howard something completely different.

"What a good idea Evelyn, I'm glad to see you're on board" Peggy says enthusiastically, making your skin crawl.

You turn and smile at her, before returning to Howard, who was still giving you a sceptical look. "See Peggy understands the benefits, quit being so sinical my darling friend" you pat Howard's shoulder and circle around the back of the table to stand next to Peggy, examining the timetable they had for Steve.

Howard gives one more look and then joins you both. After 30 minutes, Steve returns with the copies you asked.

"Sorry it took me so long, it took some time to figure out how it worked." Steve speaks up, drawing all of your attention to him.

You beam with a wide smile, pushing past Peggy, over to Steve. "No apologises necessary, thank you for doing that for me Steve" you look around.

"What are you looking for Evie?" Howard quizzes.

"I-am-loo-oooking for- Ah! Perfect" you pick up an empty cardboard box and stand with it in front of you, gesturing for Steve to put the files in it.

He drops the files in the box, making you jolt slightly from the weight and you turn to Howard and Peggy, adjusting yourself to accommodate the weight.

You didn't fully think this through.

But you feel the weight get lighter and as you focus your attention to Steve, he had reached around you and grabbed the box without having to think. You had it for no longer than 1 minute.

"Let me Evelyn" he speaks softly, with a matching smile.

"Such a gentleman" you smile back, allowing him to take it from you, as expected... with ease.

"Right we will be going now, we shall see you two a little later".

You turn and place your hand gently on Steve's back, guiding him towards the exit. He is obviously as confused as Howard and Peggy, but goes along with it.

"Evelyn, where are y-" Howard calls out after you, desperately.

"Retail therapy Howard. Got to make him look the best if you want this tour to work. As I explained, got to start early" you shout back, still heading for the exit.
You lean slightly towards Steve "I'll explain when we are out of here, just go with it please"