15 - No More Denial

You go into your bathroom and see your eye and face had already begun bruising. You were a little shaken and didn't want to stay there on your own.

You gather everything you can carry and leave you apartment. Locking the door behind you, as you walk down the stairs, you slide an envelope with a letter, key and cheque in under your landlords door.

As you stand on the street, you take a deep breathe and let a couple of tears fall. You glance up and down the road and head across the other side of the street.

You walk down the street for a couple of minutes and knock of the window of a black Hudson Six Traveler.

The door opens.

"Since you've been parked out here for hours anyway, fancy actually keeping me company?" You ask.

"Need a hand with your bags Miss Miller?" Jarvis asks defeated.

"Please."

He gets out and places the bags in the boot of the car, then escorts you to the passenger side, closing the door after you sit down.

"Where to?"

"I want to go home"

"Do you want Mr Stark to know you're there, or do you want to keep that shiner a secret from him?"

"Yeah you've probably got a point there J. Try and get me into the house unnoticed if you can please?"

"I'm sure we can figure something out Miss Miller. Do you want to talk about it? We saw him enter your apartment block, but didn't realise who it was until he left running away"

"We? Who's we Jarvis?"

You watch Jarvis go white and wide eyed. Gulping and trying his upmost to remain focused on the road as he weaved in between vehicles, despite it being the middle of the night, it was still New York City, it never slept.

"Jarvis, who is we?!"

He gulps again and sheepishly gives you a side glance. "Me and Mr Stark"

"Howard was there?! Where is he now?"

Jarvis gulps again and goes even whiter with his breathing becoming rapid.

"That's why you're so confident about getting me back to the house without him realising. He's not there is he?! Jarvis where is Howard?!"

"Miss Miller, please let's just get you home. You need rest, it's been a long day for you."

"Jarvis so help me god. Tell me where Howard is."

He sighs knowing he wasn't going to win. "He went after your father."

"HE WHAT?! Jarvis you need to turn this car around immediately, my father is twice his size, 1,000 times crazier than Howard and he doesn't have any quarms with killing Howard if it means I might lose everything and have to go back to brooklyn. Jarvis. Now."

He hesitates, but as he looks at you, you watch the realisation sink in that you weren't kidding and this wasnt something he should ignore.

In a split second Jarvis pulls the wheel down causing it to spin 180° in a split second, the tyres screeching as he tried setting off back to your apartment.

But you realise he flies right past it and heads towards Brooklyn Bridge.

"Jarvis, what else aren't you telling me?"

"I may have dropped Mr Stark off rather than him getting a cab Miss Miller."

You sigh and cover your face with your hands before turning to face Jarvis, sitting sideways in the passenger seat.