Part 38 - Earned Respect

-3 werks later-

"Evie. Evie. Evelyn." Howard whispered as he tried shaking you awake.

"Hmmm?" You mutter.

"Darling come on, it's 4am, you've not slept properly for 3 days. Go to bed."

"No, no, Bucky. Steve. I-er" you cough and shake yourself awake. "Answers, results. They need this Howard."

He sighs, shaking his head with a smile on his face. As you go to stand he stops you, forcing you back into your chair and crouching in front of you.

"My sweet sweet Evie, they know you're working tirelessly, they know we're doing everything we can. But you being sleep deprived, hungry, dehydrated and grouchy isn't doing anyone any favours. So, go home. Go to sleep, have some dinner and get plenty of fluids down you and come back in two days. No later."

"Howard, no."

"Evelyn Lois Miller, do as your told."

"Alright, alright, no need to go all macho on me, jeez." You hold your hands up in defeat and sleepily gather your belongings amongst the chaos surrounding you in the office.

You hear your door creak open and you see Steve and Bucky stood with fresh cuts and bruises on their faces.

You and Howard share a look of confusion and shock. Before turning back to Steve and Bucky, waiting for an explanation.

"It seems the world isn't ready for us yet." Steve says defeatedly.

"No matter what I do, the world just beats me back down." Bucky huffs out, deflated as he flops onto one of the chairs on the other side of your desk.

"Who did this?" Howard asks, furious.

"A couple of techs."

"This happened IN STARK INDUSTRIES?!" Howard roared, all of you shocked. There was only a handful of times Howard was genuinely angry and the only one you could recall was the day your dad hit you.

"Howard." You try and bring him back to earth.

"Evelyn, I love you, but your voice of reason is not going to work for this."

"I was going to say... have at it." You say with a menacing grin. "I'll sort these two, go and use that powerful influence of yours." You wink.

"Bare with me boys, I'm just going to get some cloths, alcohol and hot water. See if there's a first aid kit around here as well."

"Thank you Evie." Bucky says sincerely.

"You're welcome." You place a comforting hand on his shoulder as you go out of the office.

"I DONT CARE OF YOUR DAMN BELIEFS. IF YOU HAVE A FUCKING ISSUE YOU COME TO ME. YOU DO NOT ATTACK TWO HIGHLY DECORATED SOLDIERS WHO HAVE SACRIFICED ENOUGH FOR THEIR COUNTRY." Howard screams at a tech in the lab.

As you make your way through the lab, being sure not to interrupt or get in Howard's way, you gather the things you need and make your way back to the office.

"Decorated soldiers? Pfft seen them in here more than out there." You hear someone mutter under their breath.

You stop and turn "and how is it that you've seen them here so much?" You ask plainly.

"I'm sorry?" The worker responds.

"You heard me. You disregarded them as decorated soldiers because you've seen them in here more than you claim to have seen them in battle. So tell me, how would they be possible?" You ask, placing the things in your hand down.