Sinking Back Down

*Alex's POV*

"Elise, get the fuck out!" I yelled.

"I already got what I came here for, so bye!" Elise said with that annoying voice of hers.

It really wasn't what it looked like!

*Flashback*

I was just finishing packing up my clothes when I decided to call Scarlette, but it went to voicemail. I thought she was probably busy or just had her phone off.

My doorbell rang and I went to answer it. It was Elise.

"Oh hell no."

"Alex, wait! I just want to talk to you!"

"What?" I said impatiently.

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" Elise flipped her hair.

I rolled my eyes and let her in. We both stood in the living room.

"What do you want?"

"Look, Alex, I miss you so much!" She squealed, "I want you back! I'm sorry!"

"Elise, I've moved on, I've found someone else. I'm with Scarlette, now." I told her.

Then there was a car door slam.

"That's probably her right now," I said, "Leave or I will-"

Elise crashed her face to mine and her breath smelled like cat litter mixed with cigarette smoke. Disgusting. That's when I heard something crash to the ground.

After Elise finally let me go, I looked up to see Scarlette standing there, looking like she was about to cry.

"Scarlette, it's not what it looks like!"

She just ran out with her face in her hands.

*End Flashback*

She left the spiral notebook that she dropped...

I picked it up off of the ground and sat on the couch to look at it.

I went through it page by page until I got to her graduation page. Since there were two empty slots on it, I thought that maybe that was where it ended, but I flipped to the next page just to see. I was shocked to see what was on it. This was what she wanted me to see.

There was a picture of that night in Australia when we were on the balcony. It was a view from the room next to ours, so it got both of us gazing out into the city. Scarlette stuck a sticky-note in the picture slot next to it with a quote that said "There's so much beauty when your eyes lay lost in all the city lights." I smiled and flipped through all of the pages.

One of the pictures were of Scarlette and I holding hands in front of the Eiffel Tower, one of my favorite pictures. She had a witty caption for almost every picture.

I closed the book and realized that I shouldn't be smiling. She was distraught when she left and it wasn't even my fault. I wiped the smile off of my face and stood up from the couch. I need to tell Scarlette what actually happened.

I grabbed my keys and sprinted to my car. I pulled out of my drive way and headed for her house.

When I got there, her car door was still open. I parked on the curb and slammed my car door shut. I walked up to her car, but she wasn't around. I shrugged my shoulders and walked up to her front door. I knocked a few times.

"Scarlette?" I called, "It's Alex, please open the door!"

I couldn't hear movement at all. Maybe she was upstairs and couldn't hear me.