It Won't Get Better

*Scarlette's POV*

After cleaning my house and fixing everything that I broke, I just wanted to sit down and relax for at least a few hours. But of course, nobody ever leaves me alone for more than four hours after I've had a meltdown. Avery came over almost immediately after I was putting the finishing touches on some new picture frames.

"Hey Scarlette! How are you feeling?"

"Uh, fine..."

"Have you talked to Alex lately?"

"Yeah, he came over yesterday."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, we're back together." I said.

"That's good to hear!"

"What are you so happy about?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I'm always happy!"

"I mean, you sound overly enthusiastic. Like you're faking the fact that you're happy."

"Well, I just wanted to do something fun with you! We are best friends after all."

"Look, Ave, I'd love to, but I really just want to take a break from everyone for a while. I'm sure that Jack will hang out with you."

Avery sighed and it was then that I noticed that she looked extremely tired. Like stressed out tired. In fact, she looked terrible, no offense to her. I mean, her eyes were bloodshot, her hair was frizzing on the ends... This only happened when she was anxious or upset about something. Actually, it kinda makes sense. She's running from something, otherwise, she wouldn't be overly enthusiastic about everything.

"Avery, is there something you want to tell me?"

"...No. I just.... I don't want to hang out with Jack, today." She shrugged her shoulders.

"But you always want to hang out with Jack! That's like the only person you talk about. It's always, 'Jack and I were-"

"Shut up! I don't want to talk about Jack, gosh-fucking-dammit!" Her eyes started to get watery.

Avery never cries. The last time she cried was in elementary school when she got yelled at by a teacher. But today, right now, tears started streaming down her face like a waterfall.

"Gosh-fucking-dammit!" She screamed, crying harder while slamming her fist on my counter.

"Avery?! What happened?!"

"J-Jack...H-He...He broke up w-with me-e!" She sobbed and crashed her head into my shoulder, "And it's all my f-fault!"

I hugged her, "Let it out, Ave, let it out."

I waited until she calmed down some before asking her what happened. She grabbed a tissue and blew her nose.

"W-Well, I was pulling a prank on him, but he thought I was serious and he never gave me the chance to say that it was a joke!"

"Don't you guys always pull pranks on each other?"

"It involved a fake pregnancy test-"

"Woah, they sell those?!" I interrupted.

"I bought it on eBay."

"Of course. Well, continue."

I listened to her whole story from start to finish. She started crying again after saying what happened and I tried to comfort her in any way that I could. I never knew Jack could be so mean...

*Jack's POV*

"Scarlette and I are back together!" Alex sang as he waltzed in my front door.