Choices

*Scarlette's POV*

It was like Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. The bright light turned into a figure that looked like my mom, except gray and transparent.

"What the hell?" I muttered quietly to myself.

Everything started to fade and I woke up to Alex screaming in my face.

"Scarlette?! Are you okay?! Wake up!" Alex was shaking my shoulders.

"Huh? What?" I said in a groggy voice.

"You kept screaming for your mom over and over and over again."

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Four o'clock in the morning."

I groaned and let my head fall back onto the pillow.

"Were you having a nightmare? It's the day after Christmas, you should be happy!"

"I didn't have a nightmare, Alex. I don't even know what I was dreaming about..."

"Your mom, obviously."

I sighed and a silence took over the two of us before Alex sat up from the edge of the bed.

"I'm going to bed, again. Night." Alex said and left the room.

I was wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep. My phone buzzed with a notification and I picked it up from my bedside table. I had gotten a text from....Zack?!

Zack: Are you awake? I know it's like 4AM, but I need to talk to someone.

Me: Yeah, actually. What is it?

Zack: Could you please meet me at Cafe Latte'da on Thames St?

Me: Sure, right now?

Zack: Please.

Me: Be there in a few.

I just have one problem: How am I supposed to sneak out if I can't walk? Well, I kinda can... I'll just see if I can handle it.

I leaned over the edge of the bed for my suitcase full of clothes and pulled out a Glamour Kills sweatshirt that had matching sweatpants conveniently underneath it. I changed into that and brushed my fingers through my hair to make it slightly less tangled that it already was.

I pushed myself up from the bed and stumbled toward the bedroom door. Alex was asleep, I could hear his soft snoring from the room across the hall, and I silently made my way to the staircase by grasping into the wall on my way. I pulled myself up the stairs, grasping the railing all the way up. Once I reached the top, I grabbed the walls to keep me steady until I reached Alex's front door.

Avery had driven and parked my car at Alex for when I got to go home, and thank god she did. I silently opened the front door and stepped outside into the snowy world. My breath froze in midair with each breathe that I took and I walked through the snow that still sparkled at night. I almost fell a few times, but I was able to regain my balance.

I got to my car and drove to Cafe Latte'da. There were only three cars in the parking lot: Mine, Zack's, and probably whoever worked here. I parked as close to the front door as possible and I stepped out and to the front door.

I opened the single door and the bell overhead jingled. I found Zack seated at a two-person table in front of a frost-coated French window, sipping from a mug of coffee. I took the seat across from him and he looked up from his mug.

"Hey." He whispered.

"Hi."

Zack, opened his mouth to say something, but one of the workers came to our table.