Ambulances Sing and Heart Monitors Dance

*Scarlette's POV*

I watched Zack through the window of the subway train as it sped off slowly. Hurt was written all over his face and I felt like I had just killed a puppy. I thought of Alex, how cute his laugh was and how much he cared about me. I thought of Avery and how she'd been with me since we were so young. I thought of Jack, who could always put a smile on my face. I don't want to leave them behind. But...I can't stay. I looked over and saw the emergency break. If I pull it, I can go back. I reached out for it but stopped myself. I can't go back. Not now.

*Alex's POV*

"SHE WHAT?!" Jack screamed through the phone.

The only thing I know is that Zack called Jack and I don't know what's going on. Jack is flipping shit.

"Why didn't you stop her?!" Jack paused, "Do you know where she's going?"

"You had one job, Zack..." Jack face palmed, "Just come over."

Jack hung up the phone and sighed.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Scarlette just left Baltimore!"

I felt a pang in my chest. This is all my fault.

*Scarlette's POV*

I finally reached the end of the line and I strolled out of the subway car. I called Hudson and he said that he was waiting down the street from the terminals.

"I can't find your car." I said to Hudson through the phone.

"I can see you," Hudson replied, "I'm in the black Camaro across the street."

"Oh, hey, I see you now!" I hung up the phone and plastered a smile to my face.

I jogged across the busy street but Hudson had a look of horror on his face. I stopped in my tracks to give him a weird look, but a car horn rang through my ears. Before I knew it, my legs gave away beneath me and everything went black.

*Alex's POV*

After Zack told us what happened, Avery decided to wake up and Zack had to retell the whole story. Jack's phone rang while Zack was telling the end.

"It's Hudson..." Jack looked at his phone with a confused expression before answering, "Hello?"

"What?! Where is she now?!" Jack sat up from his previous lounging position on the couch.

"What's going on?" Avery sat up, too.

"We'll be there in an hour!" Jack hung up.

"Why did Hudson call you?" Avery asked.

"It's Scarlette! She's in the hospital!"

I'm not sure how much of this I can handle.

"Why?!" A look of panic spread across Zack's face.

"He said she got hit by a car! Come on, let's go!" Jack grabbed his car keys and the four of us sprinted out the door. I got in my car, Zack got in his, and Rian, Jack, and Avery left in Jack's car.

All of us followed Jack to the hospital that Scarlette was in. We parked and ran inside. We approached the front desk and asked for her room number and directions. We dashed down the halls only to be scolded by several nurses about how we 'needed to slow down'.

We burst through her hospital room door and saw a female doctor holding a clipboard standing in front us.

"You must be her friends?" The doctor said to us.