54

"The storm hasn't stopped. If anything, it's hit harder. Now we aren't only worried about the walkers, and the illness. Now there's a killer inside the walls of the prison."

CAROLINE GAGGED AT THE SITE OF THE TWO BODIES THAT LAID IN THE SMALL COURTYARD AT THE BACK OF THE PRISON

They were burnt to a crisp. Still had smoke coming off of them.

Tyreese went down into the tombs to visit his girl Karen, who had been one of the people in D block to come down with the illness. Instead he found a trail of blood, leading to the bodies.

"You found them like this?" Rick asked as they all stared at the bodies,

"I came to see Karen... and I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled them." Tyreese explained, "Somebody dragged them out here and set them on fire! They killed them and set them on fire!" He turned to Rick aggressively and Daryl made sure to stand between him and Caroline, "You're a cop. You find out who did this and you bring 'em to me. You understand? You bring 'em to me!"

Daryl moved to grab Tyreese's arm, "We'll find out who-" He pushed him away,

"I need to say it again?" He asked Rick,

He shook his head, "No. No. I know what you're feeling. I've been there. You saw me there. It's dangerous."

"Karen didn't deserve this. David didn't deserve it. Nobody does." Tyreese growled,

Daryl grabbed him again, "All right, man, let's-"

Caroline gasped as Tyreese grabbed Daryl and pinned him to the wall, "Man, I ain't going nowhere till I find out who did this!"

Daryl held out his hand, telling the others not to interfere, "We're on the same side, man." He told Tyreese,

Caroline stepped forward, "Hey, look, I know what you're going through. We've all lost someone. We know what you're going through right now, but... Tyreese, you've got to calm down."

He quickly spun around and Rick wrapped his arms around Caroline, dragging her backwards, "You need to step the hell back!"

Rick let her go and stepped between her and Tyreese, "She wouldn't want you being like this."

Tyreese landed a blow to Rick's jaw, sending him to the ground, "Stop! Stop!" Caroline screamed, running over to Rick.

Daryl grabbed onto him, pinning his arms and pulling him away, "That's enough. That's enough."

Caroline helped Rick stand and he sent a punch to Tyreese, knocking him away from Daryl. He kicked him onto his back before kneeling over him and punching him over and over again. Carol grabbed the blonde girl and pulled her away from the fight,

"Rick." Daryl walked over and wrapped his arms around him, "Stop."

"Let go of me!" Rick yelled as Daryl dragged him away, "Let go of me!"

Tyreese sobbed on the floor and Rick held his bloodied fist in his hand. Daryl walked over to Caroline and held her face in his hands, trying to pull her eyes away, "Hey, hey," Her blue eyes connected with his, "You okay?"

She nodded, "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

"But Tyreese wasn't. And neither was Rick. He had gotten rid of the pigs and burned his little stable. He was unraveling again, just like when Lori died."

Caroline felt useless. She couldn't go back into her cell block, needing to stay away from anyone who hasn't been exposed. Her and Daryl ended up sleeping in the guard tower while keeping watch.

The blonde stood in the guard tower, watching over the prison. No one was outside, everyone afraid of mingling with each other incase they were sick.

Rick and Carol were out at the pump, trying to get fresh water for those who were sick.

"Hey." Daryl grumbled as he walked up the steps,

"Hey," Caroline greeted, "What's up?"

"I'm headin' out with a group. Gettin' meds from some vet place." He said, leaning on the railing next to her,

"West Peachtree Tech? That's like 50 miles from here." Caroline turned towards him, "I'll get my stuff-"

"Nah, I wan you stayin' here." Daryl told her,

"What? Daryl, I'll get sick just from being here." She argued,

"Better than you goin' out there and gettin' hurt." Daryl responded, "Stay here, stay away from the sick."

"Five more people have gone in sick. If I stay, I'm in danger, if I go, I'm in danger." Caroline crossed her arms, "What if I get sick and die and you're not here, Daryl? What if you come back to a corpse, what then?"

"Don't say shit like that, Care." Daryl scoffed, "Stay away from everyone, alrigh?"

"I want to go with you."

Daryl stepped forward and cupped her face in his hands, "Out there, all I can think about it protectin' you. If you're here, I know yer safe."

Caroline kissed him quickly, "Go. The sooner you leave, the sooner you get back."

Daryl tugged her back, wrapping an arm around her hips and kissing her deeply. Caroline gasped and he snuck his tongue into her mouth. Daryl lifted her up, his hands gripping her thighs as he pressed her back into the wall.

Caroline tugged on the hair at the nape of his neck, "Daryl." Caroline groaned as he kissed down her neck, "Seriously, you should go."

He placed one last kiss to her lips before letting her go, "Stay safe." He mumbled,

"I should be saying that to you." She gave him a small smile, "Go."

He gave her one last look before grabbing his crossbow and leaving the guard tower.

"There was no staying safe anymore. At least, not right now. No matter where I am, I'm going to be in danger. And Daryl can't protect me."