15

"I think it was the first real night's sleep I've had since the farm. Fences covered the whole area, we didn't have to worry about anything sneaking up on us."

THE GROUP minus Daryl and Rick, who were on watch, sat around a fire, eating some squirrel meat that Daryl had caught earlier in the evening

Glenn hummed in content as he tossed a squirrel bone a few meters away, "Just like mom used to make."

"Tomorrow, we'll put all the bodies together. We want to keep them away from that water. Now, if we can dig a canal under the fence, we'll, uh, have plenty of fresh water." T-Dog stated,

"The soil is good, we could plant some seed, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans." Hershel continued before looking over at where Rick was, "That's his third time around. If there was any part of it compromised, he'd have found it by now."

"This will be a good place to have the baby." Beth told Lori, trying to keep her mind off of Rick, "Safe."

They sat in silence for a few moments. Caroline looked over to see Carol and Daryl heading back to the group.

"Bethy, sing 'Paddy Reilly' for me." Herschel asked his youngest, "I haven't heard that I think, since your mother was alive."

"Daddy, not that one, please." Maggie replied,

"How about uh... 'Parting Glass'?"

"No one wants to hear." Beth responded, giving her father a look,

"Why not?" Glenn asked and Maggie gave her sister a smile,

"Okay."

As Beth began to sing, Daryl placed a comforting hand on Caroline's shoulder as he sat down next to her, "You good?"

She nodded, "You?"

"Been worse." He answered.

Maggie joined in with her sister and Caroline smiled. Daryl handed her some of his food, "Here, I know you don' eat properly when you're out there by yerself."

Caroline slid the plate back over, "And I know you don't eat unless someone gives you food. I'm fine, really." He gave her a look, "I already ate, Daryl." She whispered, not wanting to interupt Beth and Maggie's singing.

"Not enough."

"There's others who need it more." Caroline mumbled as the girls finished.

"This made me heat up, knowing Daryl was trying to take care of me. But I didn't need him to. I've been out there by myself for a while now. I know how to take care of myself. I've learned not to depend on others. But knowing he cares made it worth coming back each time I'm out there."

"Beautiful." Hershel commented,

Rick crouched between his son and wife, "Better all turn in. I'll take watch over there," He said, nodding towards the overturned bus, "we've got a big day tomorrow."

"What do you mean?" Glenn asked,

"Look, I know we're all exhausted. Thanks to Caroline, this was a great win. But we gotta push just a little bit more. Most of the walkers are dressed as guards or prisoners, looks like this place fell pretty early. Could mean the supplies may be intact." Rick informed them, "They have an infirmary, a commissary."

"An armory?" Daryl suggested,

"That would be outside the prison itself, but not too far away. Warden's offices would have info on the location." Rick responded, "Weapons, food, medicine, this place could be a gold mine."

"We're dangerously low on ammo. We'll run out before we make a dent." Hershel said,

"That's why we gotta go in there. Hand to hand." Rick replied, "After all we've been through, we can handle it, I know it. These assholes don't stand a chance."

"And once we go in there, we'll be safe."