40

"I was nervous for Michonne, Rick and Carl. They're travelling a long ways, and anything could happen between here and there. And if they didn't return, we were screwed."

RICK, MICHONNE, AND CARL SET OFF EARLY IN THE MORNING. They were going back to where Rick used to live, knowing where they can find guns.

They were gonna need them for when the Governor returns.

Caroline stood outside, rifle strapped around her as she glanced out around the yard from behind the wooden pallet.

She heard talking and looked to the side to see Merle and Daryl. They were arguing about something while taking out some walkers that had approached the fence. She couldn't hear them, but she could tell that Daryl was agitated by how tense his shoulders were.

Not wanting to be intrusive, she went back inside. 

She set the rifle on the table and Carol handed her a bowl of oatmeal, "All quiet outside?" She asked,

"For the most part." Caroline commented, "Has Merle always been so... opinionated?"

Carol smiled, "You'll get used to ignoring him."

"That's good to know."

The blonde sat down to eat next to Maggie and Beth, the baby in her arms as she ate. "How's the princess this morning?" Caroline asked, reaching over Maggie to poke the baby's belly,

"Smelly." Beth joked, "We need to get more supplies for her soon."

"I'm sure Rick will get some while he's out."

 The door opened and Daryl walked inside. Carol handed him his own bowl and he was quick to find her. 

He sat next to her and began scoffing down his food. His hand reached over and squeezed her thigh, "I'm goin' hunting with Merle later."

Caroline paused, putting her spoon back into the bowl, "Is that the best idea right now?" She asked him,

"We need protein." He responded, 

"We're also possibly surrounded by a group who are prepared to kill us on sight." Caroline stated and the Greene sisters glanced at each other before getting up.

"I'll be careful. Merle and I got each other's backs." Daryl commented,

"You're going with Merle?"

"Yeah." He narrowed his eyes at her, "Is there a problem with that?"

Caroline looked down and began playing with her food with her spoon, "It's nothing."

"Clearly, it's not." Daryl responded,

"I was worried. I know we needed more food, but the last time the Dixon brothers went out together, they didn't return for days. I was paranoid that it would happen again."

She stood up and grabbed her bowl, "I don't want to argue with you right now, Daryl." She grabbed his as well, "You done with that?"

She put the dishes in the bucket and went towards her cell to grab her bow and arrows. She went out into the courtyard, noticing Merle was still out there taking out the walkers, before going back into the corner of the area where she wasn't as exposed.

Caroline set down her arrows and grabbed a singular one. Taking a deep breath, she lifted her bow and tried to pull back the string but paused when she felt a twinge of pain in her ribs. She lowered her bow and narrowed her eyes at the target.

"How could I help protect our home if I couldn't even pull back the string? Yeah, I can shoot a gun just fine, but what would happen if I ran out of bullets?"

"Don't hurt yourself." Daryl stated from behind her.

"We need to be ready for them. They aren't gonna wait just cuz I'm injured." Caroline stated coldly before trying to draw back her string once again,

Daryl reached forward and grabbed her bow and took it away from her, "What did I just say, girl?"

"Don't call me that!" Caroline pulled back and crossed her arms over her chest.

Daryl stared at her for a moment, "You gonna tell me what's botherin' you? And don't go sayin' some bullshit like you don't wanna argue."

Caroline sighed, "I just... Daryl, I'm not comfortable with you going out alone with Merle."

He narrowed his eyes at her, "Why? He's my brother. You don' trust him? Or me?" He questioned,

"It's not that-"

"Then what is it?!" He exclaimed, tossing her bow to the ground,

Caroline bit her lip nervously, "The last time you two went off alone... you didn't come back for days. And we were attacked and we lost people, Daryl."

"It ain't gonna be like last time." Daryl stated softly,

"How do you know that? How do you know that those people aren't out there right now, waiting for someone to leave these walls?" Tears filled her eyes, "I just don't want to lose you again."

Daryl sighed, "Fine, we won't go today. But we need food, Care-"

"I know, Daryl. But... just wait until Rick gets back, please?" Caroline begged,

He nodded, "Merle won't be happy about it."

"When is he every happy?"

Daryl smirked and walked up to her, "'M sorry. I wasn' thinkin'." He cupped her face and leaned down to bring his lips to hers.

Caroline gripped his wrists as their lips moved together.

"No, you were thinking, Daryl. You were thinking of keeping this group alive. I'm sorry for shutting you down." She replied before going up on her toes to meet with him again,

"Well, well, well, would ya look at this." The two pulled away and looked over to see the older Dixon watching them,

Caroline cleared her throat and bent down to gather her things. She held in a grunt of pain as she stood and squeezed Daryl's wrist, "I'll see you inside."

She ignored Merle's harsh gaze as she passed by the large man and went back inside.