cassette tapes

THE MAN IN THE LEATHER VEST STARED UP AT THE GRIMES BOY AS HE APPROACHED HIM AND RICK.

The boy held out a shoe box towards Daryl.

The older men stared at it in confusion, "Wha's this?"

"It was hers." Carl stated.

Daryl's heart dropped. He hadn't given up looking for her. Not yet. Just because she wasn't with Rick doesn't mean she wasn't with others. Maybe Maggie, or Glenn.

Daryl took the shoebox and opened it. Inside was a bunch of cassette tapes and a Walkman.

He pulled out the tapes and some were labeled numerically in light bubblegum pink nail polish that the blonde would wear on her toenails.

The Dixon man searched through the tapes until he found number one. He placed the tape in the Walkman, put on the headphones and hit play.

There was a sigh before a voice spoke, "Today is October 31, 2010." The woman let out a small chuckle, "Halloween. Ironic, ain't it? Today is also known as the end of the world."

The man hit pause and took out his headphones. "A diary?" He mumbled,

The Grimes boy with a sheriff hat nodded, "She's dyslexic. She didn't like to write things."

Daryl looked up at him, "How'd you know she had this?"

"Caught her one day making them. She thought that one day when all of this was over, she'd want people to know what happened." Carl explained,

"Did ya ever listen to 'em?"

The younger boy shook his head, "Nah. She never let me. Said that no one can listen to it until she was gone."

Carl walked away, Rick quickly following, and Daryl slipped the headphones back on and hit play,

"I'm gonna tell y'all a story. Well, kind of because it's a true event. More like an adventure, like The Hobbit or somethin'. I'm gonna tell you about my life in the apocalypse."