25

"I sat there throughout the night. I was too scared to wander the tombs at night. It was too dark, I would be vulnerable. So I stayed. Pushed up against the door. I didn't sleep. Flinching at every sound that echoed the corridors."

CAROLINE WAS TIRED

CAROLINE WAS TIRED. She was hungry. She was thirsty. But most of all, she wanted to get back to her group.

The walkers had left after a while, realising they weren't going to get a meal out of her.

Once the sun had risen, she gripped her knife tightly, ready to use it at any moment as she stood. The only problem was how to get back to the cell block.

She opened the door quickly, ready to kill any walker on the other side. There wasn't any. Caroline began limping back towards where she came from.

She turned the corner and spotted a lone walker. Caroline ran at it, pinning it to the wall before stabbing it through the skull. It dropped to the ground and Caroline took a step back.

The blonde kept walking, being as quiet as she could.

She noticed a figure at the end of the corridor, except her was holding something up. It wasn't a walker, no.

It was Daryl Dixon.

"I've never felt so relieved to see someone before. Especially him."

"What's a pretty thing like you doing in a dump like this?" Caroline smirked, leaning against the wall.

Daryl turned around, dropping his crossbow. He stared at her for a moment before stalking over to her. Caroline let out a gasp as his pinned her to the wall.

"Miss me?" She whispered.

Daryl wound his fingers into her hair and pulled her in for a harsh kiss.

"It wasn't soft, no, nothing about Daryl Dixon is soft. It was... passionate. For a man who didn't show emotion, there was a lot of it in that kiss."

Caroline went up onto her toes, wrapped her arms around his neck.

"That's one hell of a hello." She panted when he pulled away.

Daryl rested his forehead on hers, "Where the hell have you been, girl?"

"Around." She answered.

He took a step back and grabbed his crossbow, "C'mon, girl, we gotta get you back."

Caroline followed him, "The walkers... the alarms... what happened?"

"The prisoner, Andrew, the one Rick chased, he unlocked the gates and turned on the alarms." Daryl answered as they rushed back towards the cell block,

"Daryl, wait." Caroline stopped and he turned to face her, "Who did we lose?"

He glanced down at the concrete floor, "T-Dog. Carol. Lori."

Caroline paused, tears filling her eyes, "Carol and I got separated. She didn't make it back? Did you find a body?" Daryl shook her head, "Well, then, she could still be alive! We should go and check-"

"Care, you're in no condition to go back there." Daryl grabbed her arm, "We gotta get you back."

She nodded, "Oh my god, and Lori. The baby-"

"The baby's fine. There were some complications." Daryl responded,

She nodded, "Okay."

"I've never felt so defeated. Carol never made it back. T-Dog's death was in vain. And Lori. Poor Lori. She'll never get to see her children grow up. I couldn't even imagine what Carl and Rick were going through."

It wasn't long before they made it to the cell block. Everyone was sitting at the tables, eating breakfast. When Daryl opened the doors, they all turned to see him and Caroline walk through.

"Care!" Maggie and Beth ran towards her, wrapping their arms around the girl, "We thought you were dead."

The other's followed. They all took turns hugging the girl and Caroline looked down at the boy wearing the sheriff's hat, "Oh, Carl."

"It's a girl." Carl stated, handing the baby to Caroline.

Caroline rocked the baby in her arms, "Hi, sweet girl." She cooed, "Does she have a name?" She asked, looking down at the boy.

He shook his head, "Not yet."

"We're callin' her 'Lil Ass-kicker." Daryl stated, coming up behind her to place his hand on the baby's head.

Caroline looked up at the man who's chest was pressed into her back. She would never have guesses that tough old Daryl Dixon had a soft spot for babies.

"I like that one." She smiled up at him and they made eye contact, "'Lil Ass-kicker." Caroline glanced down at the baby one more time before looking around, "Where's Rick?"

No one answered. Daryl would've told her if he was dead, so something much worse must have happened.

Speaking of the devil, the door to the cell block opened and an extremely bloody Rick walked in. His eyes were puffy, his hair everywhere.

"Everybody okay?"

"Yeah, we are." Carl answered,

"What about you?" Hershel asked as Rick approached them,

"I cleared out the boiler block." Rick stated, looking down at his son,

"How many were there?" Daryl asked,

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen." Rick answered, "I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl."

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies." Glenn stated, "You don't have to-"

"No, I do." He interrupted before looking over at Daryl, "Everyone have a gun and a knife?"

He nodded, "Yeah. We're running low on ammo, though."

"Maggie and me were planning on making a run this afternoon." Glenn continued, "Found a phone book with some places we can hit, look for bullets and formula."

"We cleared out the generator room. Axel's there trying to fix it in case of emergency. We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well." Daryl informed him,

Rick nodded, "Good, good." He began walking back towards the doors,

"Rick!" Hershel called out, but it was too late.

He went into the tombs.