23

TW: Mentions of child abuse// spice

The next morning I awake to an empty bed, remembering that Wilkes went home the night before. My phone begins ringing on my nightstand, too loud for my state. I grab my phone, looking at the time. 8:02.

What the fuck.

I answer the phone to Irving.

"Hello? Nora? You there?" He exclaims, too chirpy for my liking.

"Shhhuuuuuut thfuckup. I'm here." I groan, rolling my face into my pillow.

"Oh there's my lovely, happy girl. How are you this morning?" I hear his grin through the phone.

"I'm tired." I sigh.

"Aw poor baby. I'll be there in like 2 minutes. Come open the door."

"What? Why—" He hangs up, cutting me off. I groan, sitting up from my bed and wrapping my sheet around my naked body.

Before I could make it to my closet, I hear a knock on the door, causing me to groan. I turn from the closet and exit my room in my sheet. I approach the front door and hear a door close from behind me. Goren exits his new room fully dressed, carrying a small backpack. I furrow my brows in confusion as he crosses the hall into the bathroom. I finally open the front door, seeing Irving leaning against the doorway.

"Finally— Wow." He looks me up and down, jokingly. "You didn't have to dress up for me, Gorgeous." He places a hand over his chest as though he'd been shot by cupid's love arrow.

"Oh shut up." I laugh, rolling my eyes, as I turn from him. I sit on the couch as he closes the door. "Leave it open for a moment." He looks at me confusingly. "It feels good outside. I'd open the windows right now but I'm too lazy."

"Okay." He opens the door again as I lay myself down on the couch.

"Why are you here? And why is Goren awake?" I question as he comes to sit by me. He lifts my head, and sits down, allowing me to lay my head on his lap.

"We're going to the aquarium."

"Oh shit. I forgot about that. Is it Saturday already?"

"It is." he chuckles. "Hey um... So what happened with Goren? Wilkes told me something happened but he wouldn't tell me what." His words cause me to shoot up.

"Oh um... My mom..."

"Is she still the way she was?" He asks concerned, scooting closer to me. I look into his eyes.

"Worse... She hurt him, Irving." His eyes widen. "His face— He was so beaten up. I couldn't hold him because his ribs were so bruised. They still are by the way. I just— I don't know. I would have never left him with her if I knew things were so bad." My voice cracks.

"Where was your dad?"

"I don't know. Gone? I think he left after an argument. I can't really remember though. God— I feel so terrible. I should have never let him stay there. It isn't a healthy living place." I look down in shame.

"It's not your fault, Nora. You've done everything for that kid. I know. I was there. You didn't know." He pulls me to his chest.

"I should have."

"You couldn't have." I embrace his hug, wrapping my arms around his neck. I bury my face into his shoulder. My sheet is held up between our chests. He squeezes my body against him. He presses his face into my hair and I hear him suddenly inhale.

"Did you just... sniff me?" I laughed, embarrassing him.

"No."

"You did!" I laugh surprised, pulling my head back just enough to see his face. He looks down into my eyes.