30) "A seventy-eight is a C"

Adrienne 1988
Howard University

"How's my girl?" Lawrence speaks into the phone, making me smile.

"I'm okay, I miss you alot though, when are you coming to see me?" I ask. There's a few moments of silence before he clears his throat.

"I actually don't know babe. I have exams next week, and the week after that.."

My smile fades. "So you're not gonna be here for my birthday?"

"I.. I don't think I'll be able to make it." He says, I let out a breath. "Well.. I guess it's okay. I'm sure you'll do great on your exams Law."

"I'm really sorry."

"Don't be.. we can just celebrate whenever I see you." I say, trying to hide the disappointment in my voice.

"I promise I'll make it up to you, just give me until after exams..I gotta go. I love you Adri." He says, before hanging up abruptly.

"I love you too." I mumble to myself, before hanging up the pay phone.

"Finally. Can we go now?" Camille asks, before looking down at her wristwatch. "I was supposed to be getting dicked down over twenty minutes ago." She adds, making me suck my teeth.

"I didn't tell you to wait on me."

"I wasn't gonna let you walk all the way back to our dorm alone. It's pitch black out here girl." She says, looping her arm through mine.

"I would've been fine. So you and Tyrone still fucking? I thought you said you were sick of him." I laugh, so does Camille.

"I said I was sick of him, not of his dick."

"Well I'm kinda glad you're gonna be out. This guy is supposed to be coming to tutor me at eight-thirty." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Umm why so late?"

"He has football practice or something, said he needed to go back to his dorm afterwards to take a shower and stuff. I mean I don't really mind the lateness. I don't have a class tomorrow." I shrug.

"If you weren't so in love with Lawrence, I'd think this was suspicious." Cam says, making me chuckle.

"Trust me. I wouldn't fool around with this guy if I wanted to, my math grade is in serious jeopardy so I actually need his brain, not his dick."