Chapter 4

Texas
^^^^^

I pulled my hair up into a ponytail as I put on my black denim jeans and my yellow thin strapped shirt.

I planned to get my hair retwisted for my date tomorrow night.I had an outfit planned so I just had to get my hair done.

Melby has been trying to take over the control of my outfit, hair, and makeup. I'm only going to let her do my makeup because I don't even know I how to do it right and make it look good.

Melby was in charge of the shop today so I hope they could keep it together and not break my shop.

My phone rang as I ate my bagel with cream cheese on it. I looked at the contact and it was my hair dresser, Faye.

"Hey, Faye." I swallowed the bite of bagel that was in my mouth.

"Hey, boo..."

Welp.

And that's when I knew I wasn't getting my hair done. I tuned everything else she was saying and I just told her it was okay before I hung up on her.

I scrolled through the near by salons until I came across a black-owned one. The first one that came up was called Kaffeine Hair. It had 4.9 stars so I decided that I'd try it.

I called the number on the page to see if they could take me. I dialed the number and it rang twice before it was answered.

"Kaffeine Hair. This is Ashlynne, how may I help you?" The lady answered and I smiled at her polite attitude.

"Hi Ashlynne, I was wondering if you guys retwist locs and if you'd be able to squeeze me in today." I sounded hopeful. It was either this or I'd just not go on my date.

"Of course. I can get you in at 2:15. Is that okay?"

"Okay, that's great." I smiled to myself.

"Alright, what's the name?"

"Tex." I told her.

"I'll see you then." She ended the call and I put on one of my sundresses before wrapping my hair up into a ponytail. I put on my flip flops and got ready to leave.

---
Kaffeine Hair.

"What's the name?" The lady at the front desk asked me with a little attitude.

"Tex." I smiled softly. She chewed her gum obnoxiously as she searched though the computer.

"I don't see Tex." She finally looked up at me.

"Uh, I spoke to a lady named Ashlynne, she put me on the list for 2:15." I explained.

"Well, I'm not Ashlynne." She retorted and I took a deep breath. I opened my mouth to speak again but someone turned the corner swiftly, making me look up.

"Texas?" Koffi knitted his eyebrows as he walked up to me.

"Hey, Koffi. What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." He chuckled and I looked at him with a confused look.

"I mean, I came here to get a retwist." I shrugged.

"This is my place." He revealed and I nodded my head slowly.

"I like the name." I complimented his creativity.

I thought it was cool because his name is Koffi and you know, caffeine with a k. But also, because it's black-owned and for black hair. Maybe it only fascinated me.

"Thanks. I can retwist your locs for you." He suggested.

"Sure." I nodded. I looked over to the young lady behind the desk and she gave me a nasty look before I walked off with Koffi.

Uh ok.

Koffi sat me in a chair and I leaned my head back into the sink so he could wash my hair. He massaged my scalp and it was honestly so relaxing. I usually retwist led my own locs but I didn't feel like doing it this time. I decided to treat myself and this was definitely a treat.

I could smell the scent of tea tree oil from the shampoo and conditioner. He finished washing my hair and put a soft pink towel around my shoulders.

"How long have you been growing your locs for?" He ask me.

"Almost 6 years." I told him. "My hair was relaxed for all my life so I cut it off and then got locs."

"That's wassup." Was all he said before it went back to a comfortable silence.

This place was kinda set up like my tattoo shop. The front desk and seats at the front and glass cubicles for the different rooms. I thought it was interesting that the glass could be tinted for privacy. Mine just had black curtains.

Most of the cubicles were tinted if someone was in there. But if it was empty, you could see right through. There were also vines across the wall that made the room look aesthetically pleasing. The place had good energy and I already loved it here.

I looked over to the door that had a chart right next to it. I stared at the door that had Koffi spelled out on it in metal letters.

"This is a really nice place."

"Thank you." His deep voice spoke. "Was the lady at the front desk giving you trouble?"

"Just a little. She was saying that I wasn't on the list but I called earlier and I spoke to a lady named Ashlynne who said I could come at 2:15. But, you came at the perfect time so it doesn't matter." I shrugged.

"I'm gonna fire her." He stated.

"It wasn't that serious. Maybe she just didn't see me on the list." I tried to advocate for her. I wasn't trying to get her fired or anything.

He didn't answer me but continued to retwist each and every loc. Time flew by fast and he was finally done. He put me under the heat dryer for 30-45 minutes.

He turned my chair to face us both in the mirror.

"Your hair is beautiful." He told me and I smiled softly, thanking him.

"Your hair is nice too. I love the afro."

"I was think of getting cornrows. I'd just need someone to do it." He touched his hair and I tilted my head.

"You don't know how to do your own hair?" I smiled a little and he laughed.

"Nah, I don't. I can do everything but do my own hair." He explained and I nodded.

"Well, I'm an expert in cornrows." I flipped my hair.

"Oh, yeah?" He licked his lips and I grew nervous under his gaze.

Jesus.

Then the door opened, saving me from my nervousness. A young woman came in and looked star struck when she saw me.

"Texas?" She smiled.

"That's me."

"I follow you on IG. I'm gonna stop by and get me a tattoo." She told me and I laughed lightly.

"This is my sister, Ashlynne." Koffi introduced her.

"Oh, you're the lady I spoke with on the phone." I nodded my head. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too." She spoke excitedly. She spoke to her brother about whatever as I waited for him. They finished up their conversation and she left.

"How much will it be?" I questioned.

"It's on the house." He told me and I slanted my lips.

"I charged you for the tattoo so let me pay you." I reasoned but he shook his head, still declining my offer.

"Nah, it's all good. Have a nice day, Texas." He assured.

"Koffi-" I started but he cut me off.

"You not paying." He spoke sternly, ending the conversation. He was so adamant about me not paying for this when I could clearly pay.

"Okay, fine. Thank you anyways." I smiled small before leaving the cubicle and then leaving completely.