Chapter 9

Texas
^^^^^
A few days later.

I pulled on my big t-shirt and pajama pants quickly, almost falling over. My phone was ringing because Koffi was facetiming me so I was trying to hurry up before I missed it.

I answered on the very last ring and I was nearly out of breath. I almost lost my balance like twice.

"Hey." I spoke, trying to keep my breath under control.

"Wassup." He looked into the camera and smiled. His smile was so contagious.

"What you up to?" I asked as I saw him driving.

"Heading home. I had a long day." He expressed.

"Yeah? What happened?"

"Well, Xaviah showed back up at Kaffeine, trying to get her job back. She made a big ass scene and that shit really blew my day." He explained and I frowned.

I felt even worse because I didn't want to her to be fired in the first place.

"Oh, wow. Do you still need someone to be at the front desk?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah, I have my hairdressers rotate at the front desk if they don't have an appointment. But, I can tell they don't wanna do it because they really didn't ask for that job and they're definitely not getting paid for it."

"Okay..." I trailed off. He chuckled a little before looking down into the camera.

"Tell me." He looked back up, focusing on the road.

"So, my sister's boyfriend desperately needed a job and I sorta kinda told him that he could get a job working at the front desk at Kaffeine." My mouth wandered.

"That's cool. I mean, I desperately need someone to work the front desk so I don't mind. Next time, just give me a heads up." He shrugged it off and I smiled to myself.

"Okay, gotcha." I nodded.

"How was your day, though?"

"It was okay. My sister decided she wanted to spend the night with my mom and I'm kinda sad about it." I pouted.

Nelly said that she'd be staying with our mom tonight because it seemed like 'she was on her meds.'

It was like a cycle and I was tired of going through it. Nelly would be convinced that our mom was taking her meds, she:d go back to her house for 2-3 nights and come back crying. It broke my heart everytime. Especially, because I'm the one who takes care of her, feeds her, buys her clothes, buys her food. But, she gives our mom a slap on the wrist. It hurts me when she disregards my love and care for her to go back to someone who doesn't love her.

My mom doesn't love anyone but herself.

"That's a bad thing?" He hesitantly asked.

"Yeah. My mom suffers from bipolar depression. She doesn't take her medication and when she has her episodes, she'll take it out the people around her. That's why my brother and I don't talk to my mom. But my sister... She just can't let go."

"But, that's her battle, though. Not yours. You do your best to advise her and help her but she will make her own decisions." Koffi reasoned and I took a deep breath.

"Yeah, but I'm the one who's doing everything for her. What more could she want from the woman we call mother?"

"Love, affection, approval. Trust me, a person could get all the attention from everyone in the world but if there is just one person who doesn't care, it will drive them crazy."

"You're right." I rolled my eyes. I hated that he was right.

"I know." He smirked cockily. He turned off his car and I watched his background change from the car to his house.

"Whatever. I just miss her."

"You'll see her, though. She's not gone forever."

"Yeah... Do you wanna do something tomorrow?" I changed the subject.

"Sure, what you got in mind?"

"I don't know." I shrugged. "I've been in a painting mood lately. Actually, I have a perfect idea." I smiled and he looked at me suspiciously.

"Aight. Are you working tomorrow?"

"No. Are you?"

"Nope." He shook his head.

"Perfect, I'll pick you up." I grinned.

"Pick me up?" He raised his eyebrows and I giggled.

"Yes, I'm gonna pick you up. Be ready by 3." I declared.

"I'm just tryna figure out what you got planned." He tooted his lips at me.

"Oh my gosh! I can't surprise you?"

"Nope, I'm gonna figure it out by tomorrow." He shook his head and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, right."

"Probably find it on Pinterest or some shit." He mumbled, making me laugh.

"It's definitely not on Pinterest." I lied.

"Yeah, right." He mocked me.

"Aht, I'm spending too much time with you. Goodnight." That was my way of telling him he was annoying.

"Goodnight, ma." He smiled before I hung up on him.

He was something else.