Chapter 16

Texas

^^^^^

It's been a few days and I haven't heard from Koffi. I texted him and I got no response. I called him twice and it went straight to voicemail. He never bothered to call back either. We're supposed to be having a meeting about the new Kaffeine so this whole avoiding shit is gonna have to end. I don't even know what he's mad at and why he's acting like he can't speak to me. 

I was currently sitting at the front desk because I had nothing else to do. I doodled on the blank sticky note as Lavan talked my ear off. Simultaneously, I was looking through applications to hire. I had to hire at least three people by the end of the week and it was just a matter of who. I had 10 applications and my problem was that I wanted to hire 5 but they would have to share a cubicle and wouldn't be their personal space. I wanted them to have their own space like the rest of us and they're only 3 cubicles left and someone has to work the front desk. So, I guess I could hire four.

"There goes your nigga." Vanny pointed, making me look up from my paper. I looked up, and to my surprise, Koffi walked in. I squinted my eyes at him as he walked up to the front desk.

"Is Tizani here?" He asked me.

What happened to hello?

I jerked my head back at the blatant disrespect before fixing my face.

"Yeah. Zani!" I called her and she came around the corner. She hugged her cousin tightly.

"I was wondering if you could do a sleeve." 

"I'll do your sleeve, Rah. Don't even start with me." I spoke up before Zani had a chance to respond.

"I was asking my dear cousin." He cut his eye at me.

"I don't care. Don't play in my face like that. Done lost your damn mind." I stood up. Zani shrugged and walked away. I don't even know why I pay her. She got one appointment a day and then spend the day with Dezi.

Koffi reluctantly followed me to my cubicle and he sat on the bed. Now he was trying to be petty.

"I already know what you want. You showed me the shit and I said I'd do it. Now you  wanna act like that in front of people. Fucking insane." I told him as I got my tools ready. I turned on music to put me back in focus, considering the fact that I was now upset.

He didn't respond to any of my angry comments, he just intently stared at me. I sat down and started on the sleeve. He had to take off his shirt, revealing the six pack that rested on his lower abdomen. I admired the first tattoo that I'd done. The dragon across his chest. It was turning me on, not gonna lie. But, he was acting a kinda way so I'm not even gonna say anything.

Hours later, the sleeve was finally done and I was tired. I did shit like this all the time but this one had way more detail. I started around 9am and it was now 3pm. So, Nelly should be coming soon.

"I'm done, dumbass." I mumbled, pushing my swivel chair away from him.

"Finally, damn." He mumbled back. He stood up in front of the mirror and flexed his arm a little. I pinched the other arm and he didn't even show any sign of pain.

"Lo, I will smack the shit out of you." He mugged me and I rolled my eyes, walking away from him. He was being so annoying.

"Come pay me." I told him before leaving the cubicle. He followed after me. He took out ways of cash and dropped it on the counter instead of putting it in the hand that I had open for him. 

This nigga.

"Bitch." I mumbled and he chuckled before leaving completely.

Nelly then came in the door. 

"You don't even have to sit down, we're going." I told her tiredly and she nodded. She fiddled with her fingers and I eyed her for a second before shaking it off.

"Bye, Vanny!" I yelled before walking out the door. We sat in the car for a moment before I started the car. I was so tired.

"Texas?" Nelly called out to me.

"Yes, babes?"

"Mama took my phone again." She sighed and I did the same, knowing I'd be making a stop at my mom's house.

My mom frequently took Nelly's phone. Usually, Lavan would get it because she wouldn't put up a fight with him. Out of all us, Nelly was the most quiet and most obedient. My mother just did it out of spite. She swore up and down Nelly was running up and down with boys and she was gonna be a whore. She's been saying that since Nelly went through puberty and I guess my mom was jealous or intimidated. She did the same thing to me. My mom isn't well.

I pulled in front of my mom's house, seeing the run-down home. 

"Stay here," I told Nelly before I exited the car. I pounded on the door and waited for her to answer. She finally came to the door. At first, she had a screwed-up expression but when she saw it was me she showed a very evil smile.

"Long time, no see. What brings you, Lopie? Miss mama?" She folded her arms against her chest.

"Not at all. I just came here for Nelly's phone." I said blankly.

"That girl gonna get an STD just like you." She pointed and I rolled my eyes.

"The phone, Celise." I held my hand out.

"Bitch, I am your mother. You wouldn't be anything without me." She shouted.

"What happened to your meds?" I asked. I looked past her to see inside the house that was a mess. 

"Lopie, you show up after almost a year and ask about my meds? Some daughter you are."

I tried my hardest not to let her words get to but I couldn't help myself. 

"The phone!" I yelled in her face and she jolted her head back and started chuckling like the crazy bitch she is.

"That's why y'all run around selling yourself." She handed me the phone and I snatched it from her. I didn't respond to her while I made my way back to my car.

"Here." I passed the phone to Nelly.