Chapter 1: Caught up in new house and school

--Chapter 1--

*Mel's P.O.V.*

I heaved out a loud sigh as my mom struggled to unlock the door to our new apartment in California.

When my mom finally found the right key, she clicked the door open, revealing our new home. Of course, it's a temporary home like always. I dropped my luggage as I explored the new apartment.

It was a pretty good place. There was a small living room which consisted of a brown leather couch and a small t.v. It was the kind of t.v. wherein you have to adjust the antenna to be able to pick up a good signal. A bare kitchen was on my left, and a petite balcony across the apartment. There were 2 bedrooms at the right.

I checked out my room. It was...ok. It consisted of a tiny bathroom that looks like it doesn't have very good drainage and a blown-up mattress for my bed. Oh well.

I decided to go to the balcony. My mom was staring at the view of the beach. My dad was scribbling stuff in his notebook, he is a journalist after all.

"Don't you love this place?" My mom exclaimed. "It is very sunny here!"

"Er...yeah," I replied. They were always looking for a sunny place. The best home for them is a sunny one.

We just stared at the view for awhile, letting all the details sink in. There's something I should ask though, but if I ask it I might hate the answer.

"When am I going to school?" I blurted out.

"Tomorrow," my mom replied quickly. Yup, I hate the answer.

"Why?" I whined. "It's like, the middle of the school year!"

"Well, we already told the principal, so you have to go," my mom dictated.

"Fine," I groaned.

I hate school.

*next day*

I woke up, annoyed that I have to go to school.

I muttered swear words as I entered the shower. Afterwards, I chose my outfit and put it on. I stared at our tiny mirror, happy with what I picked. Skinny jeans and a white muscle shirt with the word "believe" tucked in, a red belt around my waist and red flats. I dried up my hair quickly and straightened it a bit.

I grabbed my shoulder bag with an aztec print and I got a blueberry muffin from the fridge and I left the apartmet, not even bothering to say good-bye to my parents. They'd figure out that I went to school anyway.

I walked down the streets of California, slowly consuming the blueberry muffin. I sniffed the air which smelled like the salty sea water, something I'm not so used to before. I took a last bite of my muffin and threw the rest in a garbage can,.

I finally stopped in front of a small building that says, "High School Of California." I guess this is the place. I slowly walked inside, examining everything. It was the same as the high schools I've been before.

There was a bully giving a wedgie to a guy who han't really had his growth spurt yet, a bunch of girls giggling with lipgloss smothered on their lips, the football team staring at me intently, a nerd all alone with her glasses and crooked teeth.

Yup, I'm in the right place all right.

I looked for my locker, finally stopping once I caught a glimpse of my locker number. I stuffed some of my books in, leaving the books I need for my next subjects in my bag. I also sticked a picture of Harry Styles, the hottest guy in the world on my locker.

I made my way to my homeroom class. I found a good spot sit down, the one near the window where the sun is shining in. I sort of inherited my likeness of the sun from my parents. I was about to sit on the chair when a girl stopped me.