Chapter 12: Caught Up In His Smile

--Chapter 12--

*Mel's P.O.V.*

Flashbacks appeared in my mind from yesterday. Joe's lips connected with mine. It was genuine, it was gentle, it felt so real. As we kissed, it felt like a flash of blinding light appeared, and it felt like heaven. The kiss was deepening and my lips were sliding along his, and my lips were finally doing what they were begging to do for a long time. It felt so right.

But at the same time, everything felt so wrong.

Joe has a girlfriend. I had kissed him back. It was considered cheating. All of you know how much I have fallen for Joe. But I would never even dare go this far just to get him. No! I'm not that kind of person. I don't want anyone to get hurt. Well, I don't really know if Camille really cares whether she's with Joe or not. But still. It's not just right. In fact, it's a sin to do that!

I took a deep breath before brushing my hair for the last time and walking out of our humble home.

I felt a weird excitement in the air. I don't know. Everyone around me had smiles on their faces. Well, except for me. Nothing was glued on my face except that frown which highlights the crinkles by my eyes.

I was about to enter the doors of my school when I was suddenly blocked.

And I was blocked by no other than Angelika. 

"Mel!! Can you stay here inside the school until 5 pm?" she asked, a playful smile on her lips.

"Why?" I asked impatiently.

"Uhmmm.." Angelika began. "I need help with my homework. Can you stay with me in the library?"

"Why me?" I asked again. "There's always Colleen to ask."

"She's busy," she quickly replied.

"Fine," I groaned. What was this girl up to?

I walked to my homeroom class.

"Hey!" I greeted Kate.

She smiled and started biting her lip anxiously.

"Something wrong?" I questioned, weirdened by her behavior.

"N-nothing," she stammered, suddenly having the keenest interest in her nails.

"Are you sure?" I asked once again. I raised my eyebrow.

"Lovely weather we're having, huh?" she replied nervously. She looked like she was about to fall off her chair!

"Er... yeah," I mumbled.

"Oh wait!" Kate exclaimed. "Did you know Joe and Camille broke up?"

My jaw dropped. "What?" 

"Yes! I heard some rumors and they said that Joe found out Camille was cheating on him and then Camille was so angry that she broke up with him!!" she squealed.

"Woah." I had no idea whether I sould be happy or sad about that. Can I be sappy? Sorry that was corny, no.

Kate smiled then she started bouncing nervously again. She was looking everywhere and it's like she can't wait to get out of her seat. And I thought I was reckless.

After moving from one class to another, it was finally lunch time. I was so relieved because all that stuff about protons and electrons made my head spin.

The lunch table where I usually sat was empty. I just shrugged and went to get my food. When I got back to the table, all of them were already seated.

I sat down beside Cali. "Hey," I greeted.

"Uh.. hi," she replied, staring at her plate.

I looked at the other girls who were either fidgeting their fingers or looking at every direction. "What's up with you guys? Is something wrong?" I asked.