Chapter 23: Caught Up In Awkwardness

**check out the sidebar for niall's picture without braces! his smile is so big :D**

Chapter 23

*Joe's P.O.V.*

I grabbed my luggage and Steph and I waved good-bye to the twins.

"We'll miss you both!" Claire screamed.

Lara hugged the both of us. "I hope you find Mel! Have a safe trip you weirdos."

I smiled as we headed out of the apartment and into the streets of Russia. We rode a cab going to the airport and everything was just awkward. Ever since Steph admitted that she liked me, it was awkward between the 2 of us. We couldn't talk to each other without feeling awkward. I guess it's because she's still hurt, and I understand, and I'm trying my best for her to see me as a friend and not as a crush. And hopefully that would be soon.

 We soon arrived in the airport. After all the processess done in the airport, we were on the plane.

I turned my head over to Steph. We haven't talked since we left the apartment. 

"Steph, are you ok?"

She forced a smile and nodded, before looking out towards the window.

Well that turned out great. 

After a few minutes, a lady on the speakers announced: "We will be flying in a few moments, please fasten your seatbelts and turn off all electronic devices."

I buckled my seat belts and I watched Steph as she tensed up a bit. 

"Are you scared?" I asked.

She shuddered. "A bit. I'm scared of planes."

I gave her a reassuring smile. "Just pretend that you're flying, like Wendy, and you're off to Neverland." I found myself smiling, remembering the moment when Mel and I pretended to be Wendy and Peter Pan.

She forced a smile and closed her eyes as the plane jerked back and started to lift off the ground. I did the same, and I felt a rush of excitement, of hope. I'm going to see my Melanie again, I thought. I'm going to tell her everything, my love, my care, my apologies, my feelings, everything. 

When the seat belt light turned off, I immediately unbuckled my seatbelt and snapped my eyes at Steph. Her hands were numb, and she looked petrified.

"Oh my god, Steph! What happened?"

She just stared at me with wide eyes, her face was pale and she looked scared. Her finger shivered as it slowly pointed at the paper bag in front of her. 

I immediately grabbed it and set it in front of her. Her stiff hands grabbed it, and she basically puked a lot.

After she recovered, she looked at me with tears in her eyes. "That w-was tr-traumatizi-zing."

 "Is this your first time riding on a plane?"

She smiled sheepishly. "No. I'm not really from Russia, I'm from Doncaster. So, I flew an airplane from Doncaster to Russia with my parents."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Then why are you so scared of airplanes?"

"I just hate them. Everytime my feet are off the ground, this happens to me."

I nodded sympathetically. She shrugged and looked at her fingernails.

a-w-k-w-a-r-d

~'~'~

It has been an hour and Steph and I haven't said a word to each other.

I grabbed my phone and tapped her shoulder. "Steph?"

She turned around and faced me. 

"I know things are getting awkward between us since the sleep-over. But if anything is bothering you, just let me know. I'm still your friend ok?"

She nodded and smirked. I looked at her suspiciously. She grabbed my phone and unlocked it.

"What are you doing?"

She ignored me and looked at my photos. 

Oh no.

"The both of you are so cute!" she squealed.

I looked over at phone and saw that she was looking at my pictures with Mel. The specific picture she was looking at was in Starbucks, she was sipping her drink with a funny face and I sneaked a kiss on her cheek.

She looked towards me. "I'm really sorry for being a bit awkward with you. I was just scared of what to say. But first off, I want to tell you how lucky I think Melanie is to have you."

She scrolled down to a picture I took of Mel, pretending to fly like Wendy. "She's so beautiful," Steph whispered.

I nodded. "She is. She's absoulutely beautiful."

"But Steph, you're beautiful too. Any guy would be lucky to have you. You'll find that guy one day, I promise," I assured her.

'Thanks,' she mouthed.

I smiled.

The rest of the plane ride wasn't awkward anymore. We spent our time laughing, making jokes, and just talking. I feel great to have a friend back.

~'~'~

The plane finally landed. I'm so excited that the moment I stepped out of the plane, I screamed like Tarzan and jumped around. i couldn't contain my excitement. I just felt so much hope and joy rush through my body. The feeling was undescribable.

Steph and I were finally out of the airport. The Big Ben and the London Eye was in sight, there were shops everywhere, and the people around me talked in British accents.

Welcome to London, folks.

******

This chapter was pretty awesome, so to the jeph shippers, here it is! Anyhow, I just felt so teary when Joe was recalling his memories with Melanie. Awwwww, right? :3

I am sleepy and my fingers hurt so I won't blabber as much as I usually do.

I lurveeeee you all sooooo much. :)  <3

-FAN, VOTE, AND COMMENT MY LOVES!-

xx, Bea