August 2nd, 1899: Part I

"What were you doing walking around? I went by the World to pick you up." She said.

"Jack said I was going to meet you at 11. It's only 10:32 and I just assumed I was to go to you." I said.

"Well, I am here now." She smiled.

I nodded and smiled as the carriage rode off. I was silent for most of the ride. My mind was still trying to wrap around what happened in the past few hours. We were about 2 and a half hours into the ride, in Staatsburgh when Medda finally spoke. I think she could tell I was so worried about things, since I continued to fiddle with my skirt, pulling it up and down.

"What happened?" She asked, nodding to my wrapped up ankle.

"N-Nothing." I lied, quickly pulling my skirt down as much as possible.

"When a young lady - or anyone for that matter - denies something so quickly, I find that something, in fact, did happen." She said.

"I... I just fell." I said, softly, rubbing my arm.

"Mhm. Katherine, it is okay to tell people about abuse." She said as I looked to her, not knowing how she could've found out, "When Jack came to talk to me, something was bothering him. I haven't seen him this bothered for quite awhile, so I asked him what happened. He said something happened to you and that he was worried about not being near you. After I kept persistently asking him, he gave in and told me."

"Jack shouldn't have-"

"No, he shouldn't. But, I've been the closest thing to a mother that he's ever known. He needed to tell someone as much as you need to." She said.

"I don't need to tell anyone. I am used. And broken. If my father's community was to hear, I would ruin us. Him, I barely care for, but my sisters can't have that." I said.

She nodded, "When I became a performer, I was just a chorus girl. I was thin, and beautiful, and perfect, all the men loved me. I would leave whatever theatre I was performing at that night and somewhere along the way, a man would whistle or make an assaulting remark. I mean, I was a Bowery dancer, I thought it was normal to be pulled into these dark alleys and let men use me. I thought it was okay and I shouldn't fight them because I was the one in revealing costumes on stage. One night, they hurt me. I thought I was going to die, but one of the maids from the theatre found me and took me back inside. She asked what happened and when I told her, she was shocked. Not only at how they treated me, but that I never told anyone before. She taught me a valuable lesson that night; It is never your fault if an idiot out there has a sick mind and thinks they could get away with anything. What those boys did to you isn't your fault. You are not to blame. You're not used or broken. You are still perfect. You are still worthy and extraordinary. And, I can't speak for anyone else in this life other than myself, but the way Jack talks about you, you are also loved." She smiled, wiping some tears from her eyes.

I nodded as I cried softly. I looked out of the carriage to see the river next to us, the Governor's large mansion approaching on the other bank. I thought about what Medda said, and... I believe her. She is right. I didn't ask them for that, I didn't deserve it. I looked to her, "They came to check on me.... They knew I was with Jack. But, they came in and... Oscar threw the plate at my feet. It cut me pretty bad and then they.... Took advantage of the situation. If it wasn't for Jack and Davey saving me,.... Well, I don't want to think of how far they would've gotten." I cried. Medda nodded and held me close, shushing me. I leaned against her as the carriage stopped outside of the mansion.

"It's over now. You are safe. You have me. And Jack. And, all those Newsies." She smiled softly, holding my hands.

"I won't have them if we don't win this." I said, softly.