Chapter 28: The Cloud Serpent

A/N:

Please be mindful that I have no ownership to the picture shown below. CTTO.

———

"A spirit beast is lurking somewhere." Yuri heightened up her hearing trying to figure out the beast's whereabouts.

Yena and Chaewon both readied themselves with a dagger. Yujin slowly transforms herself into her wolf form with Minju beside pulling out her paper scrolls and inked paintbrush. Hyewon froze the surface water with ice so they won't have difficulty fighting, as her ice slowly crawls to Chaeyeon, Wonyoung, and the demons to protect them.

"2 o'clock," Yuri pointed out the direction where she heard the beast's noise. She had her eyes closed, fully focused on her ears, "by the sound of  the friction as it moves, I can tell it's crawling." With eyes full of warning, Yuri faced the group. "It's a snake, no doubt."

"Oh shi—" Yujin almost backed away. Just hearing the word 'snake' made her shiver.

"Hide everyone! We couldn't escape from this beast if ever, better just hide and avoid fighting," Minju announced being agreed upon by everyone. And as they all took their hiding spots not being too far from each other.

The demons were still unconscious, and it was such a dangerous timing especially that they are the most strongest in their group.

As they all hid in their spots, Yuri raised her hand as silently as she could to send signal to the other members that the beast in near. When Yena suddenly slipped from the branch where she stood. She could've fell down if it wasn't for Yujin holding her wrist.

However... Yujin didn't get the chance to pull her up when it finally appeared.

Crawling on the shallow water, there was over a 30-meter snake slowly nearing their location. Sweats dropped from the side of their heads as they covered their mouth to suppress from releasing an unwanted noise despite feeling like wanting to scream from fright. Especially when they recognized this beast. It was the 'cloud serpent' taught from WIZ Academy. Its white and hard, almost steel-like scales, and the red spirit gem rested on the center of its forehead, it made them confirm so that this is indeed the fearful snake that they knew. It hissed while its tongue peeked out, only making the group shiver more.

"Don't fucking let go doggy," Yena warned, heart racing anxiously while desperately holding onto the younger's grip

Yujin however already had countless drops of sweat fall from her face trying to hold Yena in place. She couldn't move and pull her up or else the serpent might notice.

The snake crawled until it was already just below the two struggling humans. Even the other members were nervous for them two.

The spirit beast was about to crawl away, when Yujin's sweat dropped on its scale that made it stop. "Fuck," all of them cursed in their minds.