Chapter 29: The Feud

"But I have none! I have no magic."

"It may not be true.. who knows?" It was Professor Jung she was talking to. He flashed Chaewon a smile before pouring his attention into mixing chemicals in the container.

The professor has requested for the girl's assistance for his lab works. Talking about randoms topics until eventually coming across this.

"It is true! I should have my magic awakened already at my exact 16th birthday... but I'm 21 years old now, what do I have? Nothing! I'm just good as useless." Chaewon sigh and dropped the container that she was holding. Her hand clutched tight of her grip to the neck of the bottle.

"Nobody is born useless, and that goes the same for being powerless."

"Yeah..? So what is the purpose of my whole existence exactly..? Design? An extra character?"

"No my dear student..." He gently placed down his equipments and faced Chaewon and points a finger at her, " you are the main character of your own story. Your life is the book and you're the protagonist." He handed her a random book, which Chaewon looks at observantly as she listen to the professor. "You can let those extras in your life judge you for who you are or what you have, but don't let them affect you... because they are only a part of one page. And you still have to complete the rest. You must have to go on and continue your book." He turned the page next and continued on until the last page.

"So what's the point of all that you're telling me?" Having to think there's no sense of it all, Chaewon lifelessly placed the book down on the desk, sighing.

"I say believe in yourself.. because I'm telling you, nobody in this world is born powerless. Everyone has their own magic."

"Funny.. I must be an exception then."

"Chaewon-ah.. this world has a lot of secrets yet to be discovered. Who knows that maybe, you're a late bloomer." He turned to her direction and gently pats her shoulders.

It didn't give Chaewon a single hope. That became the base why her eyes began forming tears, so she looked down, "Its been five years already having nothing."

"I'll tell again, nobody in this world is born powerless, there are just those who are cursed to have nothing."

Chaewon held back her tears and raised her head, "Cursed?"

"Yes, cursed. I myself am a cursed child. So I can't use any magic as well." He faces the desk again and proceed with his potions. While at it he explained, "I came from a family of water benders.. my father controls water and so does my mother, and that includes their ancestors as well. So there's no excuse that I originally have water as my magic. But of course, bad things happens.. and here I am, being cursed, and that makes me unable to wield my magic. But so what? These potions I brew.." He raised one of his potions in the air as he brags, "they became my own magic. Look what I can do..? I became more powerful than most magicians.. most."

For once again, he faced Chaewon with an assuring smile, "Just be patient dear.. time will come and you will be one of the highest. And besides, you've managed to lighten the orb. Then that only means that you're awakened. You have magic, Chaewon-ah.. and its already up to you to figure it out."

"Should I believe..?" It was a low tone full of confusion and uncertainty. With both her shoulders downed, Chaewon sighed timidly staring at the red gem of her left wrist. No one knew why this happened. After the sudden vanishment of the serpent, the gem just suddenly appeared on her wrist and cannot be craved out. They all tried, but it only results to her pain.